Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
TomP

My new book (foreword by Tim Smith)

post-42-0-34559900-1413226915_thumb.jpg

Hello to all,

Allow a moment please, for a plug of my new book.

Work for Giants: The Campaign and Battle of Tupelo/Harrisburg was released on October 10 by the Kent State University Press. My good friend and old next-door-neighbor Tim Smith was kind enough to write the foreword. It is available online through all of the major book sellers. In the next few days it will be on the shelves at the Shiloh and Corinth bookstores, as well as Books-a-Million in Corinth and Barnes & Noble in Tupelo. It will also be available at the Mississippi Final Stands Interpretive Center (Brice's Crossroads) in Baldwyn. There are several book signings in the works but no firm dates yet.

This project has had me busy for the last few years and it is a great delight to finally see it in print. There is a shorter version in the current issue of Blue & Gray Magazine that includes a driving tour of the campaign.

All the best,

Tom Parson (calcav)

Well done!

Will get my copy soon (people always ask what to get me for Christmas, which is a good thing...)

Ozzy

I plan on going to the Corinth Interpretive Center and have the author not only sell me the book in the bookstore, but have it autographed at the same time. I'm pretty sure arraignments could be made with the author (he has been known to be a nice guy if you catch him on a good day!) to send you a signed copy (with the proper financial inducements , of course). If not, I may be able to assist you in this matter.

Jim

It is now available in the park bookstores. I'd be delighted to sign them for you. If you are out of state you can make arrangements with Karen Jaggers the manager of the Shiloh bookstore. I can sign it and she can ship it.

Tom

I will get around to ordering a copy after the holidays. Will contact Karen.  Have bought too many books about the du Ponts of late. A little recess from the civil war although there were several du Ponts in the war (Samuel, navy) and Henry A with the 5th U S artillery.  Du Pont supplied at least 40% of the powder for the union war effort.  Thanks for the info clacav.

Oh and yes Jim thanks for your offer.

Tom....

Congratulations on your new book.  Looks like I'll have to add it to my "to be read" list.  Any book signings coming up soon in Virginia?

THE MANASSAS BELLE

After spending Friday touring Brice's Crossroad with Steve Cantrell, I felt it best to take a down day and spent Saturday afternoon on the veranda finishing Tom's book. Knowing little about this campaign, I read it for pure enjoyment. As usual, Tom's style is smooth and easy to follow. I've always enjoyed finding the story behind the title of books and this one was no exception. When I mentioned to Tom that I thought his title fit perfectly, he said he felt so too. Tom said the book might be a better seller with a title of The Battle of Tupelo, but he liked this better. After some thought on the subject, I've come to the conclusion that a title of The Battle of Tupelo would be misleading as this book is about the whole campaign, not just Tupelo/Harrisburg. It also fits the whole campaign to a T. I also love the chapter A Second Battle and am coming to the conclusion that a lot of in depth studies on history could use such a chapter. Kudos Chief. Next year I plan to read it with a more critical eye with a view to visit the battlegrounds.

Jim

Jim,

I'm glad you liked it. I'm working now on a prequel if you will, on the battle of Brice's Crossroads.There will a final chapter concerning a "second" battle but not exactly like what I did in Work for Giants. The "second battle" will have to do with the post-war efforts of Union veterans to prevent General Sturgis from receiving an appointment to the head of the Soldiers Home in Washington. it was a pretty nice position, one the veterans did not aprove of because of his poor showing at Brice's Crossroads.

All the best,

Tom