Shiloh Discussion Group
WI16thJim

Civil War Trust meets goal of 40,000 acres preserved

From the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/house-divided/wp/2014/10/20/civil-war-trust-meets-goal-of-40000-acres-preserved/

By Linda Wheeler

The 40,000 acres preserved since 1999 is equivalent to 62.5 square miles, according to the Civil War Trust, which announced Monday that it had met a goal it had set for itself three years ago with the purchase of 654 acres at North Anna, Va., battlefield. The trust has now preserved battlefield acres at 122 Civil War battlefields spread across 20 states.

That represents 943 acres saved at the well-known battlefield at Gettysburg, Pa., as well as three acres preserved at the less-well-known Palmito Ranch in south Texas.

It is not closing its doors with this victory, however: It is moving ahead quickly to save more battlefield sites, said trust President Jim Lighthizer. “We cannot let up while America’s historic landscape continues to disappear at an alarming rate,” he said in prepared remarks.

The recent purchase of the historic Fontaine Farm on the North Anna battlefield in Louisa and Hanover counties is the first time the trust had been able to purchase nearly an entire battlefield.

The trust also announced that its Facebook page had surpassed 20,000 fans. “This tremendous — and growing — level of support will help us continue to achieve previously unimaginable successes,” Lighthizer said.

There are 55,000 members of the nonprofit trust, making it the largest nonprofit battlefield preservation organization in the country.

Jim

• Like 2

Jim,

The property containing the 'Johnston's Last Bivouac" site at Shiloh may be changing owners in the next few months. The current owners would probably be receptive to any interest from The Civil War Trust.

Grandpa

Jim,

Thanks. Also, I've been using your "patented" area exploration method for many years. Hope I don't owe you any royalty payments! It really gets interesting when you have to take a detour when you already don't know where you are.

Grandpa

It also gets interesting when the pavement ends, then the gravel ends and then the dirt path ends. I've had some real hard times trying to turn around. A few years back I decided to see where Gladden Road led to, at night. There is a certain point where it really is just a path and I could swear I heard some Deliverance cords being played off into the woods somewhere! And yes, you do owe me royalties. I do accept beer in payment.

Jim

Had time yesterday to make a quick tour through some of the park. There's not much Fall color this year, at least not yet. Saw 6 tour buses. Seems the American Queen riverboat is docked at Savannah, and their patrons were touring Shiloh. I have some advice; try not to be in a situation where you have to meet a tour bus on the little Hornet's Nest road. I had to pull off onto the shoulder of the road. It seems all of the gun carriages have new paint. They look good. Except for the buses, the park seemed to be almost deserted.

Grandpa