Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Michele

The Story of Shiloh

Last weekend in Fort Worth, I stumbled across an aged copy of The Story of Shiloh in a dusty corner bookstore.  Like I told Perry, it's like it was sitting there waiting for me.

Finding this on the heels of my first Shiloh visit, it was easy to get swept up in DeLong Rice's writing.  Read the whole book in a couple of sittings and couldn't keep my mind from wandering back to the places I'd just seen.  I was inspired to make this video using some of his words along with a few of the pictures I took at Shiloh last month.  Hope you enjoy.

• Like 2

Michele

Before watching your thoughtful, inspired creation, I went online and read Mr. Rice's work, for myself. I was faintly aware of his association with Shiloh Park; and totally unaware of his writing ability.

Anyway, you captured the essence of his work; and combined words and music in an innovative way. Well Done!

Ozzy

http://archive.org/stream/storyofshiloh01rice#page/n5/mode/2up

• Like 1

I finally finished Eisenschiml's book this evening.  Quite interesting to read through some of his takes on Shiloh--the battle and the park--and his reverence for DeLong Rice is evident.  I was struck by his general sympathy for Beauregard's position and predicaments as well as his disdain for Grant's perceived flawed character and leadership.  Certainly, it was an engaging little book . . . very different in style and tone from Rice's sweeping account.

I probably never would have found this on my own.  Thanks, Hank, for sharing!  :)