Shiloh Discussion Group

LETTER OF DR. W. D. LYLES
Medical Director, 1st Corps, Army of the Mississippi, CSA

"Headquarters First Army Corps, Medical Department May 2, 1862
To: Major George Williamson, Assistant Adjutant Major General

For the information of the Major General and by his order I have the honor to submit the following statement:
To this hospital I had removed such of the more severely wounded as were injured in the engagements of the 6th and 7th numbering with surgeons infirmary corps some three hundred and twenty Confederates. As your Medical Director I thought it my duty to remain with the party on the field. In addition to your own people we had some sixty-five Federals who were prisoners, many of whom were wounded, who were attended by Federal surgeons. I extended to them every courtesy and assistance in my power and freely shared with them every comfort I could procure for our own men. On the 8th in the afternoon, and subsequent to the skirmish with the enemy and Colonel Forest;'s Cavalry, my attention was directed to a pistol shot said to be directed at my hospital by some Federal Cavalry. I went out and met the officer who had fired the shot, as I ----acertained [sic]. I remonstrated against so inhuman an outrage and refused to surrender to him. He left and in about an hour Colonel (Theophilus Lyle?) Dickey of the Federal army came up with a Calvary force (4th Illinois Volunteer Cavalry?) and demanded my surrender. I was powerless and reluctantly yielded myself and the party of unfortunate prisoners. Colonel Dickey drew up in pencil something like a parole by which we agreed to remain and report to General Grant.I expressly refused to sign the document unless it was understood that we were subject to recapture by our own forces. Colonel Dickey assured me that of course that was always understood but he would take care that we were not retaken and left us with the promise that he would send for us the next morning. This, however, he fortunately for us, failed to do, as we were rescued on the evening of the 9th by a detachment of our own cavalry.
Your obedient servant,
W. D. LYLES, MEDICAL DIRECTOR"

You can view a map on the Civil War Trust's website that shows the location of Dr Lyles' hospital
http://www.civilwar.org/battlefield...-timbers-2011/shiloh-fallen-timbers-then.html

• Like 2

Laura

On the map associated with your civilwar.org 'link,' I believe the site for Mickeys White House is just off the map to the left, less than a mile from the position indicated by 'furthest west site of '4 IL.' (Note the Harrison Road arcing in from the southeast; where it connects to Ridge Road, the road to the west becomes Bark Road.) Just to add some perspective...

Ozzy

• Like 1

Thanks Ozzy. So is it safe to assume that Dr Lyles' Polks Corps Hospital was located somewhere between the Fallen Timbers area and Dr Cross' Hospital at Mickeys House?

Trick question...  :mellow:

Looking at the 'civilwar.org' map, the areas for the 'Fallen Timbers Battlefield' are shaded yellow. The site of Dr. Lyle's Hospital appears to be on private land, between two areas of NPS-controlled land. Therefore, Dr. Lyle's Hospital appears to be within the area recognized as Fallen Timbers Battlefield (even though not under NPS control, at this time.)

And it appears Mickeys was to the west. and down the road a piece, from the Fallen Timbers Battlefield.

Ozzy

• Like 1

Laura, yes, I think we'd have to be talking about two different hospital sites here. I've only been to Fallen Timbers once or twice, and if I remember right the Civil War Trust sign that talks about the hospital is located along the road, just below where they show the 'hospital tents' on that CWT map. But when I was there with a few other folks once, there was some discussion that the hospital may have been located further to the west, which I think was up the hill from where we were. It seemed to fit the description better. But it's still a separate site from Dr. Cross's site, if he set up at Mickey's. Dr. Lyle's hospital would have been close to the Fallen Timbers fight but west of it, and the site at Mickey's about a mile further to the west, as I think Ozzy mentioned. So Dr. Lyle's site was between the two at the time of the fighting.

Perry

• Like 1

Thanks Ozzy and Perry for clarifying. My question may not have been completely clear. I assume there were several other Confederate hospital sites scattered over the area. Any idea where the others were? 

There were over 2000 Federal soldiers taken prisoner at the Battle of Shiloh. As they were marched south to Corinth, many recorded that 'every house and barn and porch along the way seemed to have been taken over as a makeshift 'hospital' for wounded Rebels.'

Ozzy

• Like 1

Dr Lyle's hospital was close to the Fallen timbers battle site, the trees prevented visual sighting.  Yes, Mackie's was another hospital site.

Ozzy, the road to the west is the ridge Road and leads to Corinth.  The same road continues east and becomes the Bark Road which leads to the Savannah/Hamburg road better known as the River road. 

Ron

• Like 2

Laura

An earlier post at SDG (that I've just stumbled upon) contains a substantial amount of data concerning Polk's Corps Hospital, Dr Choppin, and some of his patients. Will include the links below.

Ozzy

First hand account. Nightime -- End of First Day by Robert Webb ['A Place of War' -- Eyewitness Accounts] February 2nd, 2013.

http://docsouth.unc.edu/imls/clarke/clarke.html     (Diary of H.C. Clark; and Battle of Shiloh by Alexander Walker)

• Like 1