Shiloh Discussion Group

Perry;

What does the column headed as Mana in the members list mean?

Ron

Ron,

"Mana" is an optional feature that comes with the board. Up to now I had kept it turned off, but I thought its absence might be the cause of those mysterious red 'x's under our member names. Or if like me you use Firefox most of the time, they look more like broken picture links. So I thought I'd try turning the mana feature on to see if it helped, but obviously it didn't.

As for what it is, my understanding is that it's basically a way for members to evaluate each other, or something to that effect. If you think someone is making a good contribution to the board, you can give them "mana." I have no idea why that term is used. As far as I know this is all done annonymously though, so you never know from whom it comes from when you get it. Obviously I'm no expert on it, but I had thought there was an explanation under the Help menu, but I don't see it there now. Unless I just missed it.

In any case, when I saw it had no effect on eliminating those 'x's I was going to turn it off again, but I see that folks are apparently starting to use it. So I suppose I can leave it on, if everyone wants. It's fine with me either way.

Perry

Perry I to found the mana heading and wondered about it but the "help" didnt help me any I guess I'm going to have to find me a teenager to explain. mona

I don't know if this helps (or even matters), but below is a link to a Wikipedia article on mana. You always have to use caution when relying on Wikipedia, but again, in this case I don't think it's all that important. The site falls under the category of more information than I really wanted to know. But, it's probably close to what "mana" stands for as it's used on this and other boards I've seen here and there. Apparently you can think of it as being something like The Force from Star Wars. So obviously it belongs on a board related to the Civil War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana