Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

2015 Fall Hike Ideas

It's still a long way off, but I wanted to get some input from everyone about our hike next fall. It will take place on the weekend of November 7th, which is a Saturday. A couple of questions - 

First, what would you think of having something group-related on either Friday and/or Sunday? I have a couple of things in mind, but I wanted to know if having a few 'extra' items on the schedule along with Tim's hike(s) would be something that some of you would be interested in doing.

I'm open to group members offering to lead a hike and/or give a talk on a Shiloh-related subject that they're interested in. It doesn't necessarily have to focus on the battle itself. But it would take place on either Friday or on Sunday. 

And second, start thinking of subjects you'd like to have covered for our hike or hikes with Tim. We already have a couple of ideas offered - A hike covering some aspect of the artillery that took part in the battle; and a hike focused on Lew Wallace's April 7th fighting. 

Start brainstorming some other possibilities.

Perry

• Like 3

Perry.......

First, I'd like you to give your talk on Peabody.  Who knows him better than you?!!!  :) 

Second, I'd like a tour of the history of the major monuments, their symbolisms, significance and dedications.

Third, a tour on the evolution of the park during the various periods after the battle (including the proposed electric trolley line!)

THE MANASSAS BELLE

• Like 4

the sunday idea would be good.last yr we did a sunday hike but there were only 3 of us but it was a good hike and covered diferent area of the battlefield.

• Like 2

I led a hike following Sterling Alexander Martin Wood's Confederate brigade on April 6 on Sunday last year and am planning to lead a hike following Trabue's brigade next November, unless something more interesting comes along.

My hike last year simply followed the tablets in numeric order and, while I prepped as best I could, primarily from the OR, I was at the disadvantage of not having walked that specific route before and not knowing exactly what each tablet marked. I plan to visit the Trabue tablets when I am down to the Shiloh NMP next month for the annual festivities so that my commentary will be a bit more coherent than it was last November.

• Like 2

Anyone interested in a photo meet up to shoot sunrise/sunset pics?  If the weather and clouds cooperate, Perry you better reserve the good weather now, I always pic a spot to shoot and get there around 5:30ish AM to scout and compose.  I was thinking about scouting out a nice clearing in the trees where the 6th MS entered Rhea Field.  If the clouds are nice should be a good spot to capture sunrise.

• Like 2

Mike,

Count me in for the sunrise/sunset photo shoot, if you get that good weather guarantee from Perry!    Since he also likes photography, you might be able to talk him into joining us!

THE MANASSAS BELLE

P.S.  While on the topic of photography, I'm planning to attend the Center for Civil War Photography's Images of War Seminar in Manassas, Virginia on October 16-18, 2015.  Anyone else planning to go?

• Like 1

Mike........

Since you would probably know, do they allow tripods or monopods on the battlefield?.  If so, is a permit required?  I know some public places frown on tripods as a matter of safety.

THE MANASSAS BELLE

• Like 1

I use my tripod at all of the Military parks all the time, in full view of the Rangers and staff, and never had a problem.  Even at the Gettysburg 150th where there thousands of people nothing was said.  I've been more worried that the rangers might object to me being there too early.  Shiloh is pretty laid back.  In 2012, I was there before sunrise and a ranger (headlights on) saw me with my tripod and camera out and just told me if I wanted to see plenty of deer I should set up by Review Field.

Michele......5:30ish AM is correct. :D

Thanks for the info, Mike.  Here in DC they are pretty strict about no tripods.  Recently, a fellow photographer friend was attempting to take a photo outside of the U.S. Capitol and was using a tripod. The Capitol police came over to him and had him look up to one of the landings in the Capitol dome.   A police sharpshooter had a bead on him with his rifle.  Evidently, they thought the tripod was a grenade launcher.  Such are the times we live in.

I love these early morning shoots.  Did my fair share of them in Alaska, Iceland, Scandinavia, Arctic Circle and Russia.  What lenses are you planning to bring to the battlefield?  I'll probably bring my Nikon 18-300 mm and whatever long lens I purchase in the next few months.  Are you sure 5:30 a.m. is early enough?

THE MANASSAS BELLE

• Like 1

Mike......

I just checked the sunrise calendar for Shiloh and the 5:30 a.m. meeting time should give us plenty of time to set up our gear.  (I'm used to shooting sunrises in places further north, where the sun rises much earlier.)

THE MANASSAS BELLE

• Like 1

Mike......

As much as I travel (mostly flying), I usually go light.  That's why I like the 18-300 mm.  I still have plenty of time to decide if I'll bring along  a long lens or one of my primes, too.  I'm looking forward to this shoot and hope I can pick up a few Mike T tips and tricks of shooting award winning battlefield photos!

THE MANASSAS BELLE

• Like 1

Belle,

I am 100% self taught.  Well I took one class in HS but that was film.  Lots of folks helped and gave me advice along the way and I am always willing to share.  I'm thinking about arriving a day or two earlier so I can go back to Holly Springs.  I believe Daniel Govan is buried there.

Mike T.

• Like 2

Thanks for the good suggestions, Belle. They're on the look-into-that list. I'm kicking around maybe doing something on Peabody for Friday, but we'll see. And the Sunday hike on Trabue's brigade sounds good, Transylvania. 

Love the photography shoot idea, Mike. That would be great. I think 5:30 is plenty early enough, but if anyone wants to be out in the park at 3:00 a.m. to re-create the original dawn patrol, you're certainly welcome to do so. But I won't be joining you. :)

So we'll have at least a couple of DSLR's, a Coolpix, and my Galaxy SIII with finger-pinch zoom. Variety!

Keep the good ideas coming, folks. 

Perry

• Like 1

Belle,

I am 100% self taught.  Well I took one class in HS but that was film.  Lots of folks helped and gave me advice along the way and I am always willing to share.  I'm thinking about arriving a day or two earlier so I can go back to Holly Springs.  I believe Daniel Govan is buried there.

Mike T.

Here are some pics I took last 4th of July when we visited Corinth for the 4th and went over to Holly Springs. Hillcrest Cemetery, it is very beautiful....but the downfall is, no cemetery office, maps, or layouts to find who you are looking for. We went there trying to find these 3 especially from the Battle of Franklin...but we were pretty much on our own, in the middle of July, wandering a cemetery, so I'm sure you can imagine how much fun that was, lol. Govan is closer to the street, facing the homes across the street, fyi...I had to google a pic of his grave with someone next to it, and try and put the puzzle together as to where it was taken..took a while. But again it's a very beautiful, and well kept cemetery.

Confederate Generals:

post-331-0-12098500-1426474371_thumb.jpg  Daniel Govan

post-331-0-81756800-1426474381_thumb.jpg Edward Walthall

post-331-0-99475500-1426474393_thumb.jpg Winfield Scott Featherston

• Like 2

As a back up plan, if inclement weather interferes with all y'all's plans, I'd be willing to give a tour of the local watering holes! Speaking of tours, the Park is finalizing plans for a tour guide program. The test is free. I'm thinking of taking it when it's available just to see how much I don't know about the battle. I'm just guessing, but I'll bet there's not a lot on the 16th WI.

Jim

• Like 2

Really like the history-of-the-park, artillery, and photography ideas.  I wonder if the themes of artillery and photography could be combined into one hike.  Something I learned from having hiked the Boy Scout artillery trails in years past is that there was a wide variety of artillery used at Shiloh, particularly on the Confederate side.  It might be interesting to discuss the different types, what types of rounds might be used in different situations, and so on, while visiting examples of the different rifled and smoothbore pieces and to visit those places where artillery was decisive (I'm thinking of Grant's Last Line and Ruggles Battery, primarily).  Battlefield photography very often includes a cannon or two, and an artillery-focused (pardon the pun) hike would be a good opportunity to improve our skills. 

• Like 1

I know what you mean.....I carry a book called CSA Generals at rest.  It lists their burial sites along with some photos.  I have many times looked at those pics to find some sort of starting point or clue.  Good times.

• Like 1

Mike......

I volunteer for a group called "Find A Grave" and they have a remarkable database for those looking for burial sites for the famous and not so famous in this country and around the world.  Ideally, there is a brief bio, photo of the gravesite and photo of the deceased on the person's profile.  If the gravesite photo is not there, you can request a local volunteer to photograph one for you, if the grave is marked.  Since you are basically looking for civil war generals, there's a good chance you will find them on Find A Grave.  It is also a good resource for family history enthusiasts.  I've found information on that site for many of the 12,000+ members of my direct and collateral family tree lines.   http://www.findagrave.com

THE MANASSAS BELLE

• Like 2