Shiloh Discussion Group
lelliott19

Wood's Brigade - What Artillery Battalion?

Wood's Brigade was all infantry except one Artillery Battery? What artillery Battery? Somewhere I read it was Harper's (MS) Is that correct? Who was in command of the artillery with Wood? If it was Harper's Battery, Capt William L Harper was wounded on day 1 and Lieut Put Darden replaced him. 

Trying to figure out who the men are in this picture with Wood. Does anyone recognize any of them? Wood is seated right in the darker uniform. 

post-562-0-98219900-1427260992_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

According to David W. Reed, Harper's (Mississippi) Battery was a component of Wood's Brigade and was detached early on the morning of April 6 to fight with Shaver's Brigade.  The battery was also engaged with Stephen's Brigade at the Peach Orchard that afternoon.

Avery's Georgia Mountain Dragoons were also assigned to Wood's Brigade but did not fight with the brigade during the battle.  According to Reed, it was a single company.

• Like 2

Harper's Battery, officially known as the Jefferson Light Artillery of Mississippi, was the battery assigned to Wood's Brigade commanded by S. A. M. Woods.  This brigade was part of the Third Corps commanded by General William Hardee.  The command of all of the artillery of the Third corps was the duty of the Corps Artillery Commander who was Major Francis Shoup. 

The men in the picture are General woods and his staff officers, unnamed.  Yes, Captain Harper was wounded on the first day and replaced by Lieut. Putnam Darden, who proved to be a very fine battery officer and was promoted to captain and became the commander of the battery. 

During the Battle of Shiloh, the batteries soon became separated from their assigned brigades because of the wooded terrain thick with heavy underbrush.  Batteries were prevented from following their brigades through the woods with the result they could not keep up.  Most of the batteries soon were fighting with troops other then their own brigades.  An example of a battery fighting with other troops is that of the Battery commanded by Captain W. Irving Hodgson that began the battle assigned to Anderson's Louisiana Brigade.  On Monday April 7th, the battery marched to the eastern sector of the battlefield while its brigade, that of General Patton Anderson fought on the western side of the field.  This happened because the battery separated from brigade during a road march and got lost.  They did see bloody fighting in and near the Daniel Davis Wheat Field where they halted the union General Nelson's advance.  Hard fighting took place here in the Wheat field, the Cotton Field and around the Manse George's cabin.  

Ron 

• Like 2

Laura

When I first looked at the photo (S.A.M Wood and Staff Officers), I was struck by the resemblance of the two men in front, to each other: they appeared to be brothers. I went into a list of Confederate Staff Officers, and found the entry for 'Henry Clay Wood, Major CSA, Chief of Staff to SAM Wood after 28 OCT 1862.'  I then checked find-a-grave for SAM Wood, and discovered that his oldest son was born about 1850... so, not his son. 

Also, found that Henry Clay Wood was aide-de-camp to SAM Wood before the Battle of Shiloh. So, the photo must have been taken before April 1862... or after October 1862.

Another staff officer listed is 'S.A. McClung, Captain CSA, AAG.' But McClung is also recorded as KIA   April 24th, 1862. If McClung is in the photo, it had to be taken before April 1862.

Will provide links, so you can examine the data yourself:

Cheers

Ozzy

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11114     (find-a-grave id #11114)  S.A.M Wood

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/military/confederate-states-staff-officers-w-surnames.htm     (List of CSA Staff Officers)

http://archive.org/stream/cu31924030921096#page/108/mode/2up     (archive.org List of Staff Officers of Confederate States)

• Like 2

Since I had a bit of time, I went into the OR (Official Records) and had a look at SAM Wood's after-action report, filed April 15th, 1862 for the Battle of Shiloh. Found the following Staff Officers listed: (pages 590-597)

• Captain William Clare                     Volunteer aide

• Lieutenant Henry Clay Wood         Aide-de-camp

• Lieutenant Linus A. McClung         Assistant adjutant general     [i have also seen this man recorded as 'S.A. McClung' and  'J.A. McClung']

• Captain Joshua Sledge                  Volunteer aide

• Captain Coleman                           Volunteer aide

• Lieutenant S. Church                     Acting brigade commissary

Will check for these names in the 'List of Staff Officers,' and may discover other possible subjects in the photograph.

Ozzy

http://ehistory.osu.edu/books/official-records/010/0590     (OR   Official Records, made available by Ohio State University)

• Like 1

post-562-0-21905400-1427346685_thumb.jpgThanks Ozzy!

Thats exactly what I was thinking about the other seated man. I have not been able to locate a known photo of Henry Clay Wood, but the guy sitting beside General Wood sure looks a lot like him!!! Henry Clay served as Aide-de-camp for his brother General Wood and (after Gen Wood resigned) for Pat Cleburne.

The main thing though that struck me about this photo is how much the man standing on the left looks like my gg grandfather. We do not have any images of him as a young man and certainly none of him in uniform. In case you don't recall from our previous conversation, he originally enlisted in the 16th AL as surgeon, was promoted to Brigade Surgeon, and served as such at Shiloh. Do you think the brigade surgeon would have been in the picture?   

The way he stands with his chest sucked in and the bottom of his ribcage near his hip bones.......do you see what Im talking about? Thats exactly how my grandfather stood. Anyway, I know the sword is not the one a surgeon major would have carried, but perhaps it was handed to him as a prop for the picture? The collar and cuffs are dark so either medical or artillery? I found a picture of Captain William Lewis Harper who was in command of that Artillery Battery connected to Woods Brigade and he looks NOTHING like the man in the picture. 

Here's the picture we do have of Dr Cross when he was up in years.....about 20 years after the picture would have been taken. The unknown man has been 'flipped' here. 

• Like 2

I forgot to mention that General Wood was from Florence, AL. Dr Cross lived in the town of Cherokee, AL (not Cherokee County but the little town aka Buzzards Roost between Tuscumbia and Florence.) I dont know for sure if Dr Cross and Wood would have known each other before the war, but I'd guess that they ran in similar social circles. Wood was a successful attorney before and after the war. 

• Like 1

post-562-0-60286300-1427347184_thumb.jpg

Here's the picture of Capt William Lewis Harper who was in command of the only artillery battery in Wood's Brigade. I think its safe to exclude him as a possibility for the man standing on the left.  :D

Yes thanks. It is a voucher for lodging when he was serving as the Medical Officer in charge of the Bragg Hospital - they had to move the hospital from Cherokee Springs at Ringgold to Newnan to avoid the approaching Federal Troops after Chattanooga fell.  

This image is posted on a McClung genealogy site and says the boys are named John E, David Reed, and Joe H McClung but the one in the middle sure looks a lot like the guy in the middle standing row. 

post-562-0-30322600-1427350374_thumb.jpg

IRT the photographs you posted: I agree, Harper is NOT in the Staff Officer photo with SAM Wood. The other comparison (officer in back left), pretty close: shape of the face, construction of the eye sockets (distance of eyes apart), size of ears, hairline... Would be nice to get better definition on the mouth (obscured by facial hair)... but based on the evidence, I would put myself as 85 percent certain of a match.

There is every likelihood, the individual officers had individual CDVs done, after the group photo: would be nice to see an 'individual shot,' for certainty.

Ozzy

• Like 1

post-562-0-16749000-1427350523_thumb.jpg

Do you think the guy standing on the right might be Maj Martin Walt? He succeeded Maj Frank Gailor as Wood's Quartermaster after Gailor was killed at Perryville.

• Like 1

I suspect Linus Anderson McClung has a better, accredited, photograph out there... so will withhold judgment until we find it. (I agree that it is close-ish, though.)

Ozzy

N.B.  When I have more time, will go through the list of Confederate Staff Officers and see if any other names pop up, as assigned to SAM Wood. It appears Clare, Sledge, Coleman and Church have low possibility of being in the Staff Officer group photo.

• Like 1

Wouldn't that be something to find a picture of the gg grandfather in his uniform???? Maybe others will chime in with their opinions. I really think it could be him! I'd love to see an individual CDV. That would be amazing!

Went onto 'List of CSA Staff Officers' to check Gailor and Walt. Gailor has less possibility of being in the photo, due to very short tenure. Walt is a lot higher probability, with a year in the position ( if the photograph was taken October 1862 or later.)

Ozzy

N.B.  Would be nice to know date photo was taken: would rule McClung in or out. 

Laura

Had to break for dinner last night... sorry about that.

Looking at Gailor, I agree: he is not in the Staff Photo.

Had another, closer look at your Major Walt comparison, and realized: image on the right is a drawing. That said:

• the size of the mouth/lips is correct;
  • the nostrils are the same;
  • the broad, high forehead is correct.

But...

• the chin (drawing) is a bit too prominent and broad;
  • the eyes (drawing) are not quite far enough apart;
  • because the chin/jaw (drawing) is too broad, the ears do not 'tuck in,' but hang more vertically.

Still, considering it is a drawing (and may have been influenced by the subject's view of his own appearance), it is pretty close: 70 percent match, I reckon.

Ozzy

Laura, just do as I do. If you believe the picture is of your ancestor, research the bedevil out of it to find all the info you can. Then, if you still believe it to be an ancestor, declare it so and challenge everyone to prove you wrong. You can't go wrong. Either someone digs the evidence up you need or you blissfully go on semi-believing it is.

Jim

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help Ozzy. I really appreciate it.

Regarding Maj Martin Walt - Agreed Ozzy....drawings are not the best for comparison. Some of the features match Walt but not all, and who knows who the artist was or if they even had him in front of them at the time? 

Regarding the Group Photo of staff officers of General Wood I have a few Qs I hope everyone will chime in on:

1. The man standing on the left.......what can you tell about his rank, position, etc from his uniform? What about the belt? Is that an unusual buckle or just the buttons above and below making it look that way? 

2. I understand that the darker cuffs and collar indicate one of two things: artillery OR medical. How likely would it be for Wood to have the Capt of his artillery battery in the staff picture? Since we know the man is not the artillery captain, who else (artillery or medical) would likely be in a group shot of staff officers? 

3. How often were Brigade Surgeons included in group shots of staff officers? Does it have any impact that the General might have known the surgeon before the war? 

4. If we agree its not the artillery captain, who else could it be?

I tend to agree with @WI16thJim. I think there is a preponderance of evidence that the man pictured is my gg grandfather. Thanks Jim. 

Regarding "Lieut S Church" acting brigade commissary......

The only S Church I can find in AL, MS or TN is Stephen D Church Private/Corp 36th MS Infantry. He was 19 years old, and enlisted "near Meridian, Mississippi"

In the 1860 US Census, Stephen D Church is listed as 17 years old; approximate birth year 1843 Listed in Neshoba County, MS Township 9 Range 12. Cant locate a picture of him.  

Laura

Found a resource: Genealogy of the McClung Family, which lists about every McClung who ever lived. Decided to look for more information about Linus Anderson McClung, after I encountered conflicting dates regarding his death [one source only indicates 24 April 1862; every other source, including this one, indicates 'October 1862, from wounds received at the Battle of Perryville.] Captain McClung's entry is No. 1-6 on page 103, and indicates he was born March 15th, 1839 in Alabama.

If McClung is in the Staff Photo, it must have been taken before the Battle of Perryville. Without yet finding a confirmed CDV of McClung, I have no idea who the 'center man, back row' really is. But, I am leaning strongly towards Surgeon Cross and Captain Walt in the back row; Henry Clay and SAM Wood in front row. [And if Walt is in the back row, I do not believe McClung is in the photo, due to the timing of the wound at Perryville.]

Ozzy

http://archive.org/stream/mcclunggenealog00mcclgoog/mcclunggenealog00mcclgoog_djvu.txt     (McClung Family)

• Like 2