Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Tony Willoughby

Alone on the Left: The Desperate Stand of Stuart's Brigade with Chris Mekow

Join Ranger Chris Mekow for this 1 1/2 mile hike that traces the steps of the isolated brigade of Union Colonel David Stuart and discusses how 800 men held off 5,000 Confederates supported by eight artillery pieces for several hours. The hike will also discuss the "lost" 71st Ohio Infantry Regiment. This hike will cover mostly level,open ground.

Hi Everyone.......

Tony has both these videos on the Shiloh Discussion Group Page on Facebook as well.  He did an excellent job (as always) of capturing Ranger Mekow's recent hike.  Thank you. Tony. for sharing with those of us who were not able to make the trip for the anniversary!

THE MANASSAS BELLE

• Like 1

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow... or dark of night...

Impressive effort, with emphasis on the little-appreciated bitter end of the Union Left. In spite of intermittent rain: clear video, and surprisingly good audio. The ranger does an admirable job explaining the action in this south-eastern corner of the battlefield (even offers a plausible explanation for the, perhaps, 'not-so-fleet-footed' 71st Ohio.) 

Another valuable contribution to the understanding and appreciation of the Battle of Shiloh. Thanks, Tony!

Ozzy

In video two, the discussion about Rodney Mason being the son of the AG of Ohio...Mason himself was the assistant AG of Ohio (how convenient).  Mason did not lead the 2nd Ohio at First Bull Run, he was the Lt. Col.  The 2nd was a three month unit, and when it went three years, Leonard Harris, a captain in the three month version, became colonel.  (Harris is a fave of mine from Perryville)  When more Ohio regiments were being formed, Mason probably wanted his own command, and hence used his and his father's influence to secure a regiment, in this case the 71st.

Source is Colonels in Blue: Michigan, Ohio, and West Virginia.  Roger D. Hunt.  McFarland, 2011.

And, these videos are an excellent way for me to learn more about the battle from my chair in Ohio.  The ones I have watched thus far have excellent tour guides!

Darryl

• Like 3