Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

2015 Epic Trek With Tim Weekend

"If Jim's talk runs a little long, we might as well just camp out to be ready for the 5:30am party."

Get a camp fire going, I'll bring a cooler of beer, and we can talk about it Wisconsin style.

"1:30 p.m. - Presentation on the 16th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, by SDG member Jim Oats (Approximately 90 minutes). Location will be in front of the 16th Wisconsin's campsite marker along Peabody Road, near the junction with the Eastern Corinth Road."

Anyone having trouble finding Eastern Corinth Rd on modern maps, it's now called Gladden Rd. While we're on the subject, I have a bone to pick with the name of that road. The 16th WI was there for a couple of weeks before the battle and certainly lost men there, yet Gladden shows up for a few minutes and gets the road as a memorial?

Perry, I still spell my name Oates.

Jim

• Like 1

Ouch. Sorry Jim. I think spell check got me and I didn't catch it. We'll stand me in front of Gladden's monument and you can find some good throwing rocks and pretend my last name is Prentiss. :)

Just for clarification, the hike which I will not be leading was doing to deal with Trabue's Brigade.  I hope to lead the Trabue's Brigade hike in the November 2016 Epic Hike Weekend Gala.

I have been wanting to understand the actions of Pond's Brigade so maybe I'll take that one up in 2017.

• Like 1

Just a little 'heads up' for those not famiiar with Jim Oates who will be presenting the talk about the 16th WI infantry. You will learn that the Union's victory at Shiloh was largely attributable to the 16th Wisconsin infantry. Yes, I know there were other Union units engaged, but they just made a lot of noise.Sorry Jim, but I just couldn't resist the urge to wade in. You know what the song says," fools rush in". I won't be able to attend any of the Fall SDG doings. I had a bad stroke last Nov. 27 th and am still confinned to a wheelchair for most getting around, although I am planning to be at Shiloh for the dedication of the new Mississippi monument, located just above (South of) Rhea spring. The dedication will be Sat, Oct. 10th at approx 11 AM.

Grandpa

• Like 1

see you in couple weeks,richard!..as to lunch...if any of yall have any specific nutritional requests..please let me know as soon as possible..i will have to fill the ration requests the week before ..so im already making my list....and a head count would be good--perry--at least by the first of that week...looking forward to seeing all yall!

• Like 1

Just for clarification, the hike which I will not be leading was doing to deal with Trabue's Brigade.  I hope to lead the Trabue's Brigade hike in the November 2016 Epic Hike Weekend Gala.

I have been wanting to understand the actions of Pond's Brigade so maybe I'll take that one up in 2017.

Sorry Alan. I think I must have had my head in a pond when I posted the update. At least I spelled 16th Wisconsin correctly, so hopefully Jim won't shoot me right off. :)

Just a little 'heads up' for those not famiiar with Jim Oates who will be presenting the talk about the 16th WI infantry. You will learn that the Union's victory at Shiloh was largely attributable to the 16th Wisconsin infantry. Yes, I know there were other Union units engaged, but they just made a lot of noise.Sorry Jim, but I just couldn't resist the urge to wade in. You know what the song says," fools rush in". I won't be able to attend any of the Fall SDG doings. I had a bad stroke last Nov. 27 th and am still confinned to a wheelchair for most getting around, although I am planning to be at Shiloh for the dedication of the new Mississippi monument, located just above (South of) Rhea spring. The dedication will be Sat, Oct. 10th at approx 11 AM.

Grandpa

Good to see you posting again Richard. The board isn't the same without you. 

see you in couple weeks,richard!..as to lunch...if any of yall have any specific nutritional requests..please let me know as soon as possible..i will have to fill the ration requests the week before ..so im already making my list....and a head count would be good--perry--at least by the first of that week...looking forward to seeing all yall!

I hear, and I obey, oh great Food Angel! :)

Grandpa! I'm glad you are finally coming around to understanding the most important unit in the Union Army. Mona, I'm partial to lobster, but also greatly enjoy Alaskan king crab.

Jim

Accuweather.com's forecast for our Epic Trek weekend is currently showing highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's. So far only Friday morning looks possibly wet. Let's hope the forecast holds, minus any rain!

If you run into trouble trying to pay through the PayPal link, be sure to let me know. I'll mark you down as attending the hike, and you can pay that morning before we start. Thanks. :)

Jackson TV has the weather this weekend as 64 & rain Fri., sunny & 62 Sat. and sunny & 60 on Sunday. AccuWeather.com has Fri. as 75 & rain, Sat. 62 with rain and Sun. 55 & rain. Intellicast.com has Fri 71 with rain, Sat 60 & sunny and Sun. as 59 and sunny. All 3 have it raining Friday, so don't be surprised if it's sunny.

Jim

Jim,

That presentation on Everett Peabody on Friday should put some sunshine in your life, regardless of the weather.  :)  Wish I could be there to see and hear it. Take lots of photos, everyone!

THE MANASSAS BELLE

• Like 1

For those of us unable to make the trip, this year...and for the benefit of others interested in Colonel Peabody, I'm hoping that serious consideration has been given to creating a video of the presentation on Friday.

Just a suggestion...

Ozzy

Eileen and Ozzy, thanks for the kind words. I don't know if any camera lens is safe pointed in my direction though. I'm honestly hoping we get a video of Jim's talk, as he's far more photogenic, and we'll learn some great information from him on his Wisconsin boys. That's worth the price of admission all by itself! (I think the price includes something about beer.)

• Like 1

If you missed the posts on our Facebook group, we have a backup plan in place for Friday in case of rain, at Jim suggestion. If it rains we'll be shifting the talks to the picnic pavilion on Highway 22, south of the main entrance. Hopefully it doesn't rain, but just in case.

Also, Mike unfortunately won't be able to join us and lead the sunrise photography hike. But we'll have that to look forward to next year!

We've got a new back-up plan. :) C.D. has graciously offered us the use of the church basement in case of rain on Friday. So that will be our meeting place if the rain hits. Thanks C.D.!