Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
WI16thJim

Mississippi Monument parking and seating

at this time..the maintenance staff and americorps young people are "clearing" trees-<6 inches diameter and underbrush from the wooded region in shiloh creek-so the view will be some what like at the time of the battle.Time  and leaf fall will tell if that will be enuf to open it up.I was there midday and they still have alot of work to do.the base of the monument has now had the engraved granite applied..as you see there will be some walking involved to get to the site. mona

I am always in favor of returning the vegetation to something like its condition at the time of the Battle.  I'm looking forward to seeing the new monument - I hope to return for the 2016 anniversary (we'll see if this infernal thing called work, of which I am quickly becoming tired interferes with that excursion).

Jim,

The new Mississippi Monument almost looks like a pedestal for a grander monument.  Maybe today's economy had them pare back to something simpler.

THE MANASSAS BELLE

I guess one of the attractions of Shiloh when compared to Gettysburg is the simplicity of the Illinois, Iowa, and Indiana state regimental monuments.  It seems that Mississippi is simply following suit, I suppose.

At least, this simple, dignified monument is the aesthetic non-entity that Kentucky has erected.  As a native of the Bluegrass State, I avert my eyes in shame every time I see it.

Well, they say when you have to explain a joke .........

If you go to the Park's web page on the dedication,

http://www.nps.gov/shil/planyourvisit/event-details.htm?eventID=680824-245777

they have a picture of the Xmass ornament featuring the FULL monument, so you can get an idea of what it will look like with the top on.

This site has a photo of the model:

http://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/mississippi-monument-dedication-coming-up-this-fall-at-shiloh.113436/

Jim

Has anyone noticed the Tenn. Mon. seems to be designed along the lines of the WI Mon. and that the Miss. Mon. seems to be following along those lines? It's like the WI Mon. set the style for Shiloh monuments.

Jim

I am heading out after work on Wednesday and will get there about lunch time on Thursday.  I'll be out and about the park Thursday -Saturday snapping photographs.  If you see me stop and say hello.  I'll be the good looking fellow with the camera. :D

Take your pick on the weather for Sat. Jackson TV is calling for sunny, mid 70's. Accuweather is calling for mid 60's with scattered showers. Intellicast is calling for partly cloudy, 72. Weatherman, the only job where you can be wrong everyday and still get paid.

Jim

Stopped by today as they are setting up. They had just finished giving the Monument a scrubbing:

post-24-0-20831800-1444437819_thumb.jpg

Usually at this point I'd crack a joke such as "Hmmm, kinda boring. A brown blob with a coupla muskets and a flag sticking out," but I've decided to try something new. Restraint. Not too sure I'm gonna like it, tho.

I was just in time for one of Stacy Allen's impromptu talks. He was explaining why the site was choosen in relation to the battle.

post-24-0-84617700-1444438415_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-08370100-1444438440_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-52869300-1444438467_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-50092000-1444438496_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-95421500-1444438535_thumb.jpg

Then there was a meeting of the bigwigs:

post-24-0-15429600-1444438578_thumb.jpg

Now, I wasn't aware I'd taken this picture of Stacy:

post-24-0-37779700-1444438597_thumb.jpg

After looking at it for a while, I decided he was giving the Monument a pep talk before tomorrow.

Jim

• Like 1