Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
WI16thJim

Shiloh visitors today

Met a couple from Minn. at the bookstore today. His ancestor was with Peabody & the 13th MO when they were captured at Lexington, MO. He was killed fighting with the 25th MO at Shiloh. We had a short discussion on the 1st Brigade, when I turned the conversation to the 1967 Austin Healey 3000 Mark III they had on a trailer and were hauling to Fla.

Jim

• Like 1

Jim

Reading your above post got me thinking... about something I read about Everett Peabody at Lexington, Missouri. I had read somewhere that he was 'taken prisoner on September 20th, and paroled five days later.' But, I remember reading somewhere else that he was not 'properly exchanged' until October 26th, 1861.

Why is this important (I hear you yawn)?  Not being able to fight for over a month helps explain why his regiment, the original 13th Missouri, was caught up in a numbering re-assignment, and ended up as the 25th Missouri.

Also, there appears to have been a problem with the manner in which captured soldiers from the original 13th Missouri were Paroled... but never properly Exchanged. I am researching claims that members of the 13th Missouri, fighting at Shiloh as members of the 25th Missouri, were recognized after being captured, and executed for 'violating their Parole.'

Anyway, the best source I've found for this information is Missouri in 1861: the Civil War letters of Franc Bangs Wilkie, edited by Michael Banasik, Iowa City: Camp Pope Publishing (2001).  Pages 170, 188 and 193.

Regards

Ozzy

Was difficult to find, but the OR, Series 2, Volume 4, pages 556-561 makes interesting reading: it appears someone may have inadvertently claimed former members of the 13th Missouri were 'properly exchanged,' when they were not... in order to get them to re-muster for the 25th Missouri. As a result, at least two men are believed to have 'been executed' after their capture at Battle of Shiloh, for 'violating their Parole' ...a Private Hawkins, of 25th Missouri; and Orderly Sergeant Lenderson (may be spelled Linderson), of 25th Missouri, Company I

Ozzy

Ozzy, I don't remember the source, but I do remember reading the officers were of the MO 13th were properly paroled, but some slight of hand was used in the enlisted men's parole, leading to a few being executed.

Jim