Shiloh Discussion Group
drscolrbh

Greetings from Ohio

My name is David R. Shaw, and I live in Columbus, Ohio.  I am 62 years old, and I've been studying the Civil War since my Dad got me started at age 5.  Shiloh has always been and will always be my favorite battle, and my favorite battlefield.  I have been to Shiloh 11 times since 1989, and I would visit a lot more if I lived closer.  I am looking forward to discussing anything about the battle or the campaign with the members of the discussion group.

I have been reenacting and doing living history since 1990, and I do a portrayal of Rutherford B. Hayes.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Welcome to the group, David, and thanks for joining us. Do you have a favorite aspect of Shiloh you like to discuss? One of the Ohio regiments perhaps? 

And what was it that drew you to portraying Hayes? That sounds pretty interesting. 

Perry

I was with you, David, until I saw Columbus, Ohio...being a Michigan fan...that's just a deal breaker!.....

I kid, of course!  ;)

Welcome to the group! Kick your feet up, grab a cold beverage, stay a while!  B)

Hi, Perry,

Pretty much everything about Shiloh keeps my blood up.  It's been more interesting to me than just about any other campaign or battle.  I've been a dedicated Western Theater enthusiast ever since my Dad taught me to study the maps, and he said "Look at the rivers."  Along with Shiloh, I get a great deal of enjoyment about studying Chickamauga, Stones River, Franklin and a lot of the actions in Kentucky.  I'm also very interested in the Trans-Mississippi, and I hope one day to get out to Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Arkansas.  One place I've never been and always wanted to go to is Pea Ridge.  Even so, with all that, my heart will always be at Shiloh.  One item about Shiloh I would like to touch on is the 54th Ohio.  It was one of 3 Zouave regiments in the battle (the others being the 11th Indiana and the 8th Missouri).  The monument for the 54th features a soldier in full Zouave attire; my question is this: are there any accounts that mention the 54th wearing their Zouave uniforms during the battle?  I haven't found any.

As for my portrayal of R. B. Hayes, that began in 1994 when my girlfriend (now my wife) and I were at the annual Civil War reenactment at the Hayes Presidential Center in Fremont, Ohio (the event was held every year on the weekend in October closest to Hayes's birthday on October 4.  Last year was, unfortunately, the final year for the event).  In 1994, while touring the Hayes home, my wife was struck by how much I looked like Hayes (I am no relation).  Standing next to the portrait of Hayes as Colonel of the 23rd Ohio, she said that he and I could have been twin brothers; thus the portrayal was born.  I have never done it on any sort of professional level.  I just enjoy ringing Hayes's bell whenever I can--he was a genuine hero of the war.

I also do a portrayal of Brigadier-General George S. Greene whenever I go to Gettysburg.

Now if I could figure out a Shiloh portrayal, I think I'd be set.

Hope that gives you a little background.

Dave

Howdy, Sherman,

Remember, in 1880 you shared the stage with me in Columbus, when you gave your famous quote about war to the veterans.  No one remembers what I said.

Best regards,

David Shaw as portrayed by Rutherford B. Hayes

Hello David, and Welcome,

Since you asked the question, here is a bit about the 54th OVI (aka 2nd Ohio Zouaves):

• mustered into service at Camp Dennison Sep/Oct 1861, with T. Kilby Smith as Colonel
  • 21 Feb 1862  reported to BGen W.T. Sherman at Paducah, KY [sherman witnessed their Zouave uniform, TKS p.163]
  • 4 Mar 1862    in a letter sent by Col. Smith to sister, Helen, he describes 54th OVI Zouave uniform  [TKS pp. 186-7]
  • 4 Mar 1862    in the same letter (above), Smith says 54th OVI carried the Vincennes rifle
  • 6 Apr 1862     Smith: 'I ordered my Zouaves to lie on their bellies (about 9am) and await their foe'  [TKS p.196]
  • 8 May 1862    'My Zouaves killed three [during a recent skirmish, on march to Corinth]'  letter to wife: TKS p.202
  • 31 May           In a letter, Col. Smith reports that they have taken Corinth: the 54th OVI was the first regiment to enter the captured town (and Smith was briefly 'Commandant of the Post' (before being ordered to Chewalla a few days later.)  TKS pp. 209-213

As regards the Zouave uniform, I believe it is safe to assume that it was worn by 54th OVI during Battle of Shiloh. However, as the Zouave uniform wore out over time, it was replaced by a more standard Federal blue uniform. I believe the Zouave uniform was prevalent during the March on Corinth (Apr/May 1862), but by the time of the capture of Vicksburg (July 1863), it would appear the old Zouave uniform had mostly gone: the Vicksburg Memorial to 54th OVI shows those soldiers in standard Federal blue. [Although, it appears many members of the regiment kept the old uniform stored away for special occasions.]

Cheers

Ozzy

References:    http://archive.org/stream/kilbysmiththomas00smitrich#page/212/mode/2up  (Life and Letters of T. Kilby Smith)

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015020638063;view=2up;seq=10;size=150    (History of 54th OVI from Ohio Roster Commission)

Thanks, Ozzy!

My wife looked up the 54th OVI on Yahoo, and one of the links was to Facebook.  Clicking on the photos link took us to 22 photos, among which were some color images by Don Troiani.  I was quite interested to note that soldiers in the 54th could wear either a fez or a tricorn hat on occasion.  I wonder if this was common with other Zouave units, particularly as regards the tricorns.

Dave

I also do a portrayal of Brigadier-General George S. Greene whenever I go to Gettysburg.

Dave

I've always wanted to head over to Rhode Island to his grave where his men placed the boulder from Culp's Hill on, would definitely be a neat sight to see!  :)

-Paul 

Hi, Perry,

Can you tell me how to post a photo?  I think I looked at how to do it when I first joined the group, but now I've forgotten.  After all, as Hayes, I'm 193.  Some memory loss at that age is to be expected, I guess.  Thanks.

Dave Shaw

Dave, welcome to the SDG. When posting a new topic, look at the bottom of the page for button for Attach Files "Choose Files." If your replying, click the button at the bottom for "More Reply Options." and then the button for Attach Files at the bottom.

Jim

Hello Dave, 

Welcome aboard. My great-great-uncle was at Shiloh as a sergeant in Company A, 54th Ohio Infantry. He eventually rose to Captain in command of his company. The only photo I have of him is from later in the war when he was wearing something a little more traditional. There are a few photos out there on the web of men of the 54th in their Zouave attire and that strange hat; not exactly a tri-corn, but more like what a vicar would wear.

post-42-0-60988600-1457622445_thumb.jpg

There are a number of photos of the 54th at this site:

http://www.oocities.org/pentagon/bunker/6200/originalgallery.html

• Like 1