Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Board Update

Sometime in the next week or so, we're going to have an update on the board software. The board may go offline for a brief period while this is happening, but it isn't anything to worry about. The update will result in a slightly different appearance for the board, with some enhancements that are supposed to make things a little more user-friendly. Or at least that's the idea. :)

Perry

Perry

Any chance of a 'preview,' prior to changes being made?

[Of most concern to this contributor: the Search Box available at the top of the page. Many websites do not have a well-functioning search aid; and this one, currently on the SDG site, works brilliantly.]

My tuppence...

Ozzy

N.B.  I add the above support for the Search Box, as a retired library worker (cataloguer) who had to decide how to classify records, and determine where in the library to lodge them (and what search aids would be used to locate those records.) Using the existing Search Box, a record does not have to be correctly located anywhere: entering 'Beauregard' finds him everywhere...

Hi Ozzy,

I don't have a preview of the updated board available, but the search function should work as well or better than the current version. I've been able to test-out a functional demo, and I think on the whole it's going to work out well. There are a few differences that will take some adjusting to - mainly for me, the lack of a preview function for new posts - but I like what they've done so far. And they'll be adding more things in the future.

This is what I guess they call a 'series' update (?), switching from a 3x to a 4x platform. It's not mandatory, but they've started to phase out support for the 3x boards, which is what we currently have (3.4.5). Don't want to be left without support and only me to fall back on. Trust me. :)

Perry

• Like 1

Perry.......

Looks a little bit disjointed right now (getting really old messages from mug), but like a new pair of shoes, you need to get used to it.  I'm sure all the bugs will be worked out soon and the site will be as good as ever.  Glad we've upgraded to 4X, Wrap.  Thanks for your effort to keep us current with the technology and support.

THE MANASSAS BELLE

Yes, I got some old PM's showing as new myself, after the update. Probably just a minor bug. 

I'm hoping to add a few things as we go. A couple of things I've been able to add so far are an 'Unread' notice for topics and forums, that should quickly show everyone the unread posts since their last visit. You can still do this through the Unread Content heading under the Activity tab along the top of the page. But the notice-box is a quick-view way of seeing this whenever the board comes up. 

Also, we now have the ability to preview a board post again, as on the old board. Yay. :)

Perry

• Like 1

Perry,

The new update to the Board is working fine and I like it.  Well Done.

May I ask you if there is any way to access the posts on the old original Board.  There use to be a way to see them but it seems to have gone away.  There was some very good posts on that old Board.  I hope they are not lost.  I enjoy the Shiloh Board any way I can get it.

Ron

• Like 3

Ron, are you talking about the original original board, from 2007/2008? If so, I'm afraid it's finally disappeared - I checked before I removed the long-standing link in the FAQ section. But, all the posts from that board are still here. Anything dated March 11th, 2008, is almost guaranteed to date from the original board, as that's the day all the content was transferred to our second board (this is our third). The only thing that didn't transfer over was the original posting dates. They all bear the March 11th, 2008 date-stamp. In fact, if you check out the discussion board FAQ, you'll see the first post has that date. I originally wrote that post in February of 2007. :) It's been modified a few times since then though. :)

Perry

Glad you like the update by the way. :) I've still got a few things to take care of, but it's fully functional. Be sure to let me know if you run across any problems though. 

Perry

• Like 1

Now that the new format has been in operation for a while...

I like it (although it took a few weeks to grow on me.)

My concern -- the Search Box -- continues to function brilliantly. (You do not appreciate this feature until you try to search for information on a site that does not have one.) And with over 11,000 posts on the Shiloh Discussion Group, the only way scattered information can be collated is through the Search Box (found at top of the page.)

While discussing that feature, a few hints in maximizing its use:  Search Box

• search term must be over two characters long: (OR does not work; but "OR 10 page" returns a number of hits)
  • if looking for a specific phrase, enclose it in quotation marks ("12th Iowa"  or  "Charles Smith")
  • if looking for Charles Smith, also look for "C.F. Smith"  and  "CF Smith"  and  "General Smith"
  • if looking for an uncommon name (like Mother Bickerdyke), putting "Bickerdyke" in the Search will return most everything; (but try mispellings -- Bikerdike -- Bickerdike -- to catch everything;
  • if looking for a railroad, try "Memphis and Charleston"  and  "Memphis & Charleston"
  • if looking for "railroads"  try the singular, too (railroad) and "rail road"
  • if looking for a number, try "1st Division"  and  "First Division"  and  "1 Division"  (and McClernand)

Cheers

Ozzy

N.B.   Contributed to honour memory of Gene Heitman.