Shiloh Discussion Group
Ron Duncan

The Tucker Family in Hardin County

Enoch Franklin Tucker 1844-1924 was my great grandfather and lived in Hardin county. He was a Civil War vet and is buried at Pickwick State Park (1st Ala. Cavalry). I was searching to see if we were any relation to Pitts Tucker and thanks to info from this group I believe that we were not. There are however family stories handed down about some involvement between civilian family members and military in the areas around Shiloh. I am looking for any info about Tuckers in our line that may have lived in the area at the time of the battle.

Thanks

Ron

• Like 1

Hello Ron

Sorry, I have searched through the 1850 and 1860 Federal census and have not seen any information concerning anybody with the Tucker last name other than Pittser and his brothers Thomas and Riley.  My search attempts have not been extensive so I will try another lead I have.  Results to follow.  I have studied the battle in detail for a long time and it finally occurred to me that there were civilians on that battlefield.  This sparked a interest in me for the Shiloh Civilians so I have researched the civilian population of that time.  It is very interesting to read about them.  In total, they have a story to tell.  Please, if you have any Shiloh residents history at the time of the battle, can you send me. 

Nice to have you join the board and look forward to some posts from you, specially if its about the civilians.

Ron  (yes, I'm Ron also)     

• Like 1

Thanks Ron, glad to have found this group. I will jot down the stories I have and maybe that will provide a clue to someone. I live in McNairy county about 20 minutes from Shiloh and used to get over there pretty often. Thanks for your help, I would love to attach some names and locations to the stories.

Ron

Ron, I can't help with Tuckers, but I'm intrigued with your last name. I wonder if we're cousins. My grandmother was Winnie Duncan, daughter of Samuel Duncan and granddaughter of Joseph Duncan. She was born on land that's now part of the park and lived there as a child while the park was being built. My other Shiloh ancestors include Hurleys and Strawns. I'd love to hear your family stories to see if that match up with any of mine. You can see some of mine in my Aunt Elsie's diary at www.shilohdiary.wordpress.com. 

Wordpix John 

• Like 1

Tucker family stories about the Civil War

These were told to be by my mom and aunt who were the grandchildren of Enoch Franklin Tucker 1st ALA. Cavalry.

One or two of the young Tucker boys were perched in trees watching the approach of union boats to Shiloh. They were fired upon from the boats, presumably because they were thought to be spies or snipers. They were not hurt according to the story by left the area quickly.

Some soldiers on horses came to the home of our ancestors, presumably Tuckers, to constrict their sons into service. The sons had fled and hid before the soldiers arrived. The mother, standing on the porch, was of course hostile toward them and told them to get off their property. The officer in charge pulled his firearm and was threatening her when his horse made a sudden move. The gun discharged and he shot the horse in the neck killing it. The mother said something to the effect- I wish it had been your own white head that had been shot.

• Like 1

Hi Ron,

I just found in the 1860 census, the family I believe you may be looking for.  This family is listed as consisting of Milly, Nancy E, Enoch F (your great, grandfather), William P, George B, Martha J and Mariah A.  This census was taken on August 31, 1860 and was in the civil district #10.  I believe the residence, #1096, was in the lower part of the civil district which would place it south of the battlefield of Shiloh, below the Bark Road.  This civil district was headquartered at Hamburg post office.  The family number was #1130 but I would need more time to see how this is important.  There are 7 people listed here but this is not strange because many families were large, some with larger families.  Look on page number P159-26 of the US 1860 Federal Census.

Hope this helps

Ron

• Like 1

Hello Wordpix John,

Its nice to hear from you again after a long lapse.  I have resume working on my Shiloh civilians work after a long halt.  Was still working and had some health problems but back at it.  This business of working with the census is not easy.  Too many errors and missing information.  Names misspelled and name too similar.  John, you mentioned your relatives in the Strawn and Hurley families and these are two of the families causing me problems.  Can you provide any information to me?  I think the Strawn's came to the area after the battle maybe as late as the 1880's.  The Hurley family, I believe to had a farm and a mill on the Owl Creek near the Purdy road bridge.  The Hurley family sold property to the federal government for the establishment of the Shiloh National Battlefield Park when George H Hurley sold 43.50 acres to the government on January 8, 1898 and again on February 28, 1911 of 4.83 acres.  I think the Strawn family had a cabin near what use to be the Perry field, about 1870 but this is not verified yet.  Can you send any info?

Ron Black

Ron, that sure looks like the time frame I'm looking for. I have not got that far before. I am inserting a 1900 census note I came across, this is exciting. If I am not presenting this publication properly please let me know. I messaged John some info on my Duncan family and who knows, our ancestry is more vague than the Tuckers.

Ron Duncan

Birth: Jul. 10, 1880 Hardin County Tennessee, USA Death: May 18, 1928 Counce Hardin County Tennessee, USA

1900 United States Federal Census: Name: Philip Tucker Age: 19 Birth Date: Aug 1880 Birthplace: Tennessee Home in 1900: Civil District 6, Hardin, Tennessee Race: White Gender: Male Relation to Head of House: Son Marital Status: Single Father's Name: Enoch F Tucker Father's Birthplace: Tennessee Mother's name: Permelia J Tucker Mother's Birthplace: Tennessee Household Members: Name Age Enoch F Tucker 55 Permelia J Tucker 39 Philip Tucker 19 Kendrick Tucker 18 Franklin P Tucker 13 Henry H Tucker 10 Rachel Tucker 8 Fredie Tucker 5

Ron Black, here are a few notes on the Hurley and Strawn families. 

Both families came to Hardin County, Tennessee, from Chatham County, North Carolina by way of Lauderdale County, Alabama. Lauderdale County is on the Tennessee River, just a few miles upstream from Pittsburg Landing.

The families arrived in the Pittsburg Landing area around 1823-1824. Thomas Jefferson Hurley (age 21) married Rebecca Strawn (age 15) in Florence, Alabama, in 1823. Their first child, John Randolph Hurley, was born in Hardin County, Tennessee, in 1824. (Their third child, Asa C. Hurley, was my g-g-grandfather.)

Tom and Rebecca had seven children before he died in 1841. Two years later, Rebecca married John G.W. Hagy and had at least three children with him. Their descendants still live in the Shiloh area.

It is my understanding that the Strawn, Hurley and Hagy families originally were neighbors and lived along the Tennessee River north of the current visitors center. Hagy descendants still own some of that property. I believe Hagy’s Catfish Hotel is on the original Hagy land. (At least, their placemat used to say that.) One of John and Rebecca’s children reported a loss of $8,000 in the cyclone that hit that area in 1909. 

At some point, Rebecca’s Hurley children sold their inheritance to their stepfather and moved west to the area that came to be called “Hurley” or “Hurleytown.” It is in the general area where Hwy. 142 from Stantonville to the west intersects with Hwy. 22 at the edge of the park. 

I don’t know much about the Hurleys, but I have been told that they had a mill and some other operations in that area.

I hope this is some help. I'd love know anything you've been able to determine about any of these families.

John

Yes John.  you are correct.  There was a mill on the Owl Creek just above the road bridge, on the Hamburg-Purdy Road.  I've seen the name Hurley applied to the land on the west side of the bridge over the Owl Creek.  I guess this is Hurleyville. 

John Hagy and Rebecca Hagy (Hurley) had George W age 15 in 1860, Matilda C age 13 and Frances, age 11 in 1860.  I assume the last was a daughter.  S J Hurley, a 18 year old lived on the property as a farm hand besides a female slave also living on the property. 

Your information provided to me is accurate and I enjoyed receiving it.  I'm always open to more.

Thanks

Ron  

Hello Ron,

I could not find anybody with Tucker last name, using the first names you provided in the 1860 US census.

Ron 

Ron Black,

While "Frances" is the feminine spelling of the name, I believe the Frances Hagy you mention was  a son, Frances Marion Hagy, born 1849, went by the name of Frank. Here's a link to  an entry on findagrave: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Hagy&GSiman=1&GScid=14606&GRid=17759825&. I believe he is the one who reported an $8,000 loss in the cyclone. He would be a distant half-cousin to me, so he's not in my family records. Someone else would be a better authority on the subject. However, I expect to see some of his closer relatives in a few days. We'll be attending an event to honor our mutual ancestors, Richard Strawn, for his service during the Revolutionary War. I will let you know if I learn anything different.

John

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Ron Duncan said:

Enoch Franklin Tucker 1844-1924 was my great grandfather and lived in Hardin county. He was a Civil War vet and is buried at Pickwick State Park (1st Ala. Cavalry). I was searching to see if we were any relation to Pitts Tucker and thanks to info from this group I believe that we were not. There are however family stories handed down about some involvement between civilian family members and military in the areas around Shiloh. I am looking for any info about Tuckers in our line that may have lived in the area at the time of the battle.

Thanks

Ron

I am pretty shure my great grand father George Baliey Tucker and Enoch Franklin where brothers.And their dad was Jesse Tucker.My grandfather lived on shiloh rd.George Hobert Tucker.Would be great to read any more stories you have on them.Thanks again