Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
ForkedDeerVolunteer

Hello, all

My name is Jason McHaney.  I became interested in Civil War history in 1978 with my first Boy Scout hike at Ft. Donelson.  I first visited Shiloh NMP in 1980 with my troop.  Since then, Shiloh has always been my main focus of study.

After abut 15 years of reenacting, my focus now is study of the battle.  Following Dr. Jeff Gentsch and Bjorn Skaptason's leads, I have begun using walking tours to better my understanding of the battle.  I am also passionate about improving the Boy Scout hiking trails on the park, as well as developing a new one based on Shelby Foote's novel.

My screen name comes from a first cousin several times removed.  Cornelius Felix McHaney was from Lexington, TN, and enlisted as a private in Company I, "The Forked Deer Volunteers", Thirteenth Tennessee.  He was captured at some point during the battle and spent several months in the Alton, IL Penitentiary POW camp.  After his exchange, he returned to Lexington and enlisted in the 21st Tennessee Cavalry under Forrest.  After the war he returned to Lexington and became a druggist there.  He died in 1919 at the age of 77.

• Like 1

Hi Jason! 

Welcome to the group! Glad to have you with us! :)

Very appreciative of your continued work & passion to help improve park hiking trails for current & future generations to explore. 

I recall being in Memphis at Elmwood Cemetery and seeing the grave of Alfred Vaughan, who I believe early on was first appointed Lt. Colonel of the 13th Tennessee. 

Always been a big fan & admirer of Forrest as well, so very neat to hear your distant relative served under his Command. 

-Paul 

• Like 1

Welcome, Jason. 

Thank you for improving park hiking trails.  I'm sure there are many out there that appreciate you and your group's efforts.

Hope you enjoy your stay with us.  Feel free to ask questions and/or add to the debates and conversations.  Lots of knowledge and information out there to share.

THE MANASSAS BELLE

• Like 1

Hi Jason...Glad to see you here...Look forward to your input...

Mona

p.s. I have gotten word out to those that are supposed to be involved in the scout trails about the problems tall encountered..

Hello Jason, do you have any details about your ancestors time as a POW at Alton, Illinois?  Do you know When he was exchanged ? Doing time in the Old Illinois State Penetentiary at Alton was no piece of cake. I have researched the prison and visited Alton. There are just a few of the original limestone blocks left from the prison in a city park. The 77th Ohio regiment had their camp right next to Shiloh church and were heavily engaged on April 6th, were assigned as guards at the Penetentiary arriving there on August 31st 1862.

• Like 2