Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Ozzy

Rain, rain go away...

Developed just a handful of years prior to the Civil War, this infantry weapon incorporated several advancements in technology that promised great application to the U.S. Army; unfortunately, in real-world usage this weapon was revealed to not function when it was raining. Very few Union regiments made use of this weapon during the War of the Rebellion; however, due to necessity, many Confederate units used it (including at Shiloh)... until more reliable firearms became available.

What was this weapon?

Bonus:  Name an infantry regiment that was equipped with it at the Battle of Shiloh.

Ozzy

I think it was a Sharps carbine, breech loader, stuffed inside a umbrella.  What a great combination, Its dry while firing through the top of the umbrella.  How much did I win????.  

Ron

• Like 1

Very close, Ron. One version of the Sharps Rifle suffered a similar problem with moisture as the infantry weapon in question. (But, I do not believe any infantry regiments were armed with Sharps Rifles at Shiloh.)

Care to try again?  :)

Ozzy

N.B.  Although I have no doubt that some individuals in newly got up Rebel units brought along personally-owned Sharps Rifles to the Battle of Shiloh (along with squirrel rifles and shotguns), I do not believe that Sharps manufactured their product in sufficient numbers to arm an entire regiment until May 1862 (1st U.S. Sharpshooters)... and by then, the 'rain-related problem' had been virtually eliminated.

It is said that 'a picture is worth a thousand words.' Here is a picture of the firing/capping mechanism for a Sharps rifle (similar to that used by the weapon in question), and the primary cause of misfires in rainy or wet conditions:

Sharps%20Maynard%20lock.jpg

(from Wikipedia)

Ozzy

On 6/30/2016 at 9:55 PM, Ron said:

I think it was a Sharps carbine, breech loader, stuffed inside a umbrella.  What a great combination, Its dry while firing through the top of the umbrella.  How much did I win????.  

Ron

Ron, wasn't that the Penguins umbrella in the original TV Series, Batman?? ;)

-Paul 

• Like 1