Shiloh Discussion Group

It will take you there automatically.  Click on the word "browse" on the top right.  Then on

the left find the"Quincy Whig" in the list of papers.  Go to 1862, Oct. 24th, 2nd page in the top 3rd column..
  • Like 1

bzzn

Thanks for posting this report of General Prentiss' speech in Quincy -- I had not seen it before.

The speech I am familiar with was presented in Chicago on October 21st, 1862 and was the first public address of Benjamin Prentiss, following his release from confinement in the South. [Prentiss was sent north about the 7th of October through Libby Prison, to Aiken's Landing on the James River; he boarded a steamer with the other officers that had been confined with him, touched at Fortress Monroe (under Union control throughout the War of the Rebellion) and disembarked at Annapolis, Maryland. He boarded a train in Annapolis and stopped in Washington, D.C. for debrief; then continued by train to Chicago, arriving morning of October 21st, and gave his speech that evening.]

Noteworthy about the speech in Chicago: two other former prisoners joined Benjamin Prentiss on the stage, one of whom was Dr. Patrick Gregg, Captain of Company K of the 58th Illinois. Prentiss has nothing but praise for Captain Gregg (see the post on Patrick Gregg at SDG). The General discussed conditions in Southern prisons; the execution witnessed by Union officers in confinement of members of Andrew's Raiders (the Great Locomotive Chase); his contempt for those 'tender-footed men' in the North, seeking a political solution to the war... 'We must fight; we cannot negotiate.'

The Chicago speech of General Prentiss was reported in Illinois newspapers (where I first encountered it) and the Sacramento Daily Union volume 24, no.3632 of November 11, 1862, here:  http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=SDU18621111.2.15&dliv=none&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1  

Ozzy

General Prentiss is from my hometown of Quincy, Il.  At the time Quincy was bigger than Atlanta and furnished men and materials aplenty.  I agree with the notion of giving more credit to Wallace, Peabody and others who have been neglected for far too long.  I resist however, the denigrating of Prentiss to achieve those ends.

The Quincy newspaper reprinted what was published in the Chicago Tribune with the caveat that it was similar to what Prentiss said in Quincy.
    Prentiss’s speech was given in Chicago at a serenade in honor of him and other officers that had been imprisoned. Thousands attended to honor the returning prisoners. The original time frame was to have this serenade on the evening of October 20 but Prentiss’s train was late and the organizers of the event requested that he stay over until the evening of October 21 and Prentiss agreed.
    The Chicago Tribune published a special edition of Prentiss’s speech and of the other officers. I can not remember where I found it but I have attached two jpeg files that show the Chicago Tribune’s special edition. This is the full account and you need not look for the rest in the Quincy newspaper.
    In this speech Prentiss himself refutes the claims of the Shiloh revisionists who have told us that Prentiss went on a speaking tour after being released from prison and gave speeches in “many” cities claiming that he and his men had saved the army of Grant at Shiloh. If there was a speaking tour it had to have been when Prentiss traveled from Washington DC to Chicago.
    A request to the revisionists to produce those “many” Prentiss speeches is now in its eighth month with no reply.
    In this speech Prentiss claimed he and his men saved the army but only because he was accosted by reports in Chicago about Prentiss and his men having surrendered early in the fight. Prentiss said he had not made the claim before his speech in Chicago. Accounts of Prentiss’s speech at a serenade for him in Washington DC on October 17, 1862 back up Prentiss’s claim.
    Research shows that Prentiss is the truth teller. The claims of the revisionists fail scrutiny.

Hank

Prentiss speech in Chicago - Oct. 21.jpg

Prentiss speech in Chicago - Oct. 21 pg 2.jpg

Edited by hank
changed eight to eighth
  • Like 2

Interesting. You spit out the word revisionists like it taste bad in your mouth while at the same time you present a revisionist's version on C.F. Smith. Self loathing, or is it that it's OK for just you to question the written record?

Jim

Eric

Australia just won a couple of Swimming medals, so I'll take a short break from watching the Olympics and see if I can answer your question... it comes down to "Who was the Hero of Shiloh?'

It's a debate that's been going on since even before the Battle was concluded -- and US Grant determined not to share the glory with Don Carlos Buell (Grant tapped William Tecumseh Sherman as Hero of Shiloh.) Meanwhile, a newspaper reporter from Cincinnati, who stowed away aboard Grant's Headquarters Boat, Tigress, rushed away north and got the scoop on every other reporter... but his voluminous article, although mostly accurate, inferred that Benjamin Prentiss and many Iowa regiments were captured at the very beginning, before the fighting even got started.

And for six months, General Prentiss was in Rebel custody with 'his' maligned men [they weren't really his: most of them belonged to WHL Wallace. But because of how Prentiss conducted himself in prison; and after release devoted himself to 'setting the record straight' for those captured with him late in the afternoon of April 6th, he earned their respect.] And as scholars began to study the record, it began to appear that Prentiss and Wallace wre more deserving of the laurels than US Grant (who wasn't even present on the field during the first three or four hours) or Sherman (who didn't believe it was a full scale attack til he got shot.)

Over time, more evidence has come to light revealing the role of Everett Peabody and James Powell in 'sounding the alarm' -- providing valuable minutes that prevented Federal troops from being caught 'sleeping in their tents.'

We are now engaged in sifting through that material, making sense of it, and attempting to develop a greater appreciation for Shiloh and the men (and women) involved. And sometimes, our discussion gets a bit heated...

Ozzy

N.B.   In regards to 'what books or articles attempt to demean Prentiss,' I refer you to google: put 'Benjamin Prentiss false hero' in the search box, and see what comes back. Also, you can put 'Prentiss' in the Search Box at the top of this SDG, and read through a few of our own thoughts on General Prentiss...

Cheers

Tim is a former Shiloh Park ranger, not superintendent. Tim's work seems to follow the battle reassessment, looking at the battle in total vs. concentrating on the Hornets Nest, begun by Cunningham.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2016 at 10:17 PM, hank said:

A request to the revisionists to produce those “many” Prentiss speeches is now in its eighth month with no reply.

Heh, a request to produce a satisfactory answer as to why it was okay for Prentiss to deliberately slight a fellow officer who died in the line of duty is now in its 154th year with no reply. If anyone here would care to take a shot at it, now's your chance. 

I'll come back to the this speech of Prentiss's later, as there's some interesting stuff in there for sure. 

Perry

• Like 1