Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Ron

"White Post"

While reading about the fields that were on the Shiloh battlefield during the battle, a item appears on the 1975 Edwin Bearss Historical Base Map referred to as the "White Post" and is located in the wooded area below the Jones Field, east of the Sherman Road.  This road is actually a dirt camp road running from the Jones Field down to the area of the Woolf field.  "White Post" has the same map symbol as that used to indicate a building, on the historical map.  I have never heard of a building, or cabin, in this heavily wooded back area that runs down towards the Tilghman Branch Ravine.  A notation appears on the same map that indicates "Mass union graves" which only increases the mystery of the "White Post".  The Trailhead Graphics map indicates a burial ground labeled BG3 of the 11th Illinois Infantry at coordinates D6 on the map and this location is close to that of the "White Post".  I believe any union soldiers buried here were moved when the National Cemetery was established and I don't suggest any remain.  My guess is that the White Post had some connection to the union burial ground, but what is not known.

Can any member provide any information about this mystery concerning "White Post".  I never heard or found a mention of "White Post" before, and now it comes out of the blue.  I would like to known how it may fit-in with other information concerning the Shiloh Battlefield. 

Ron       

when the surviviors of 11th Ill. were buryong their dead in the mass grave at the location you mentioned. one of the crew--imnot remembering his name--its in tim smiths book conquer and perish.and in this soldiers diary.that he carved in a board /post the names of the dead buried here and painted it white..ie White Post.

• Like 1

Mona,

Thank you for your quick answer.  I thought this post would have lasted a longer time because it appeared to be a true mystery.  Never heard of it before.  But, along came a wise person who posted the correct answer.  I walked down in this area once, several years ago and did not spot a white post, a sign, a iron tablet or anything that mentioned a burial ground in this back area.  Mona, Thanks again.

Ron

Web site "Historical Marker Data Base" confirmed that the bodies of 11th Illinois Infantry were removed to the national cemetary