Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Fort Donelson Hike - Meeting Location

Okay folks, this should be the final update before our hike at Fort Donelson with historian Tim Smith on November 5th. As stated before, the cost for this year's hike will be $40 per person rather than $30 as in previous years. If you plan on attending, please plan on paying in cash prior to the start of the hike that morning. (Yankee currency only. Sorry. ;))

Our meeting point will be the parking lot of the Stewart County Chamber of Commerce building on U.S. 79 in Dover. (This is also the temporary visitor's center for Fort Donelson, while the regular visitor's center undergoes renovations.) The address is 117 Visitors Center Lane, Dover, TN, 37058. Here's the location on Google Maps...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stewart+County+Chamber+of+Commerce/@36.478944,-87.8689451,508m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x887b221685383097:0xe42678e2a5d19a49!8m2!3d36.478944!4d-87.866751

Note that this will not be the starting point for the hike itself - we'll carpool from here to the starting point - but this is where we will meet up, and also where the hike will end. 

We're going to try to get the hike started about 8:00 a.m., so let's try to meet at the Chamber of Commerce around 7:30. That will give us time to get everyone paid and ready to go, and still get the hike started on time. (As on previous hikes, we're not hard and fast about starting and ending times, but you should plan on the hike lasting until around 5:00 in the afternoon.)

I think Mona had mentioned possibly meeting up for breakfast near the C of C building prior to the hike, and/or dinner afterward, if anyone can still walk. :) 

Questions, comments, etc., feel free to post them here, send me a PM by clicking on my picture, or email me at pcuskey@gmail.com. Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

Perry

thanks for the finalization plans..i really was mentioning about dinner that evening..i will be driving up early that am  .everybody just remember to pack something to snack on and water..we will be carpoooling to the starting point fron the visitor center..see yall in less than 2 weeks!!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, my Pennsylvania project is not happening in 2016, so I remain in Adelaide. Was hoping to meet everyone, and follow the route of George McKinnis, Robert Fishel, Squire Fishel, Samuel Fishel and Thomas Clendenin (all 12th Iowa, Co. H) at Fort Donelson.

My apologies...

Ozzy

Most of you know I love my maps, but unfortunately I have only been to Fort Donelson once a few years ago.  The nice Trailhead Maps are not available for this.  I was able to come up with these four map.  I have no idea if these will help with the hike or not, but feel free to download if you wish.

The first one of these is a NPS map, the last three I found on Wikipedia and I did credit the author.

See you all in about 12 days!

Fort Donelson.pdf

• Like 3

Thanks Bruce! Those will be helpful! 

I should have thought of this sooner, but below is a link to some historical maps dating from the war related to Fort Donelson (and a few on Fort Henry) available from the National Archives. They're free to download and print out. To download just click on a map image or the description. Then on the next page, below the map itself, you can choose your download format from the drop-down menu next to the "Download" notice. (I usually go with the largest available jpeg file.) Although it might depend on your browser, on mine (Chrome browser) it displays the map in a new tab, where I can just right-click and save the map. Here's the link:

https://www.loc.gov/collections/civil-war-maps/?q=fort+donelson&sb=date

Perry

• Like 2

In 1959 Ed Bearss produced a set of maps for FortDonelson that are Troop Movement Maps covering the positions of the troops from February 12, 1862 through 5:00 P.M. on February 15, 1862. There are ten maps in the set covering the positions of the regiments at various times over the four days.

Hopefully they will have some of these sets available in the temporary visitor’s center for those interested.

The FortHenry and FortDonelson campaign was chosen in 1912 to be a campaign worthy of study at the GeneralServiceSchool at FortLeavenworth. The school compiled source material into a large volume (1488 pages) into a book cited as:

FortHenry and FortDonelson campaigns, February, 1862. Source book. The General service schools, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, 1923.

You see this book referenced in works of the campaign and this is an explanation of what is being referred to when an author references – The Source Book.

Unfortunately, the book has not been digitized for downloading as of yet. I borrowed a copy of the book several years ago through interlibrary loan and copied information I thought I could not get elsewhere. A large part of the book contains copies of the reports contained in the Official Records.

I am planning to make it to Dover the night of November 3rd and stay at the Dover Inn. I figured I would use Friday the 4th to refresh my memory of the fort and the surrounding areas and see what might have changed since I was there for the 150th anniversary.

I am fairly familiar with the FortDonelson fight and if anybody else is going to be around on November 4th and wants to make a preliminary reconnaissance of the area we will be walking on Saturday, or anywhere else related to the campaign, I would be glad to share what I know.

That includes you Michelle.

Hank

• Like 3

Looks like our run of good Epic Trek hiking weather might just hold for another year. Let's hope so. I'd rather not re-enact the actual February 1862 weather conditions around Fort Donelson , but I'd also rather not have it feel like Vicksburg in July. So this forecast looks pretty good...

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/dover-tn/37058/daily-weather-forecast/335687?day=6

• Like 1

I called the Dover Inn regarding their breakfast.  cereal ,  honey buns, toast, OJ, and bananas.  at least that's what I remember .   the guy said your basic cold breakfast.  so if anybody wants to meet at McDonald's or Subway at 6:00 or so, I'm game.

• Like 1

And I have some extra snacks in case anyone forgets or shows up and has second thoughts about how much food they brought.  I have a 24 pack of Lance Sandwich Crackers that are pretty lightweight, plus some trail mix.  I'll have a case of water too.  I think all of this cost me a whopping $9.  I'm still not sure what I'm bringing for lunch.  I might just get a Subway sandwich that morning.

I also have two "promotional" backpack stools that were given to me if anyone wants one.  I'm bringing them with me.  I have had one of these for a few years and love it.  It combines a small backpack that you can also sit on in the field.  (one of the backpack stools is spoken for, so one is left)

• Like 2

For any interested, I printed a number of packets of the Bearss maps (series 1, since series 2 focuses more on Fort Henry and the Union march to Fort Donelson) as well as the Civil War Trust map, which is pretty good and provides some topographical information. I'll bring them to the hike on Saturday. Looking forward to it!

• Like 3

im coming up sat am early..got to work and ride herd..but where will yall be about 7 am?i will be able to get your answer till 5 pm today see yall!

• Like 1