Shiloh Discussion Group
TomP

Grand Illumination

Don't forget, tomorrow is the Grand Illumination of Corinth. 12,000 luminaries will be placed on the grounds of the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center and up and down the streets of the Historic District.

Each of these candles represents a casualty in Corinth during the war, most of which were the Confederate soldiers who died of disease or their Shiloh wounds.

The 16th/27th Alabama Infantry under Keith Willingham (old Shiloh friends) will arrive this evening and set up camp at the site of Battery Robinett. They will be portraying the 43rd Mississippi Infantry and "Old Douglass" the camel will be here as well. There will be interpretive programs throughout the day Saturday and Sunday. Check out the website for the full schedule.

And don't miss the chance to see Bobby Horton in a free concert in the auditorium at 6:30. Aside from hearing Bobby's great music this will be the first chance in five years for the public to see the Stream of American History water feature lit up at night. If you have never seen it at night it is spectacular.

If you are here at 4:30 tomorrow you can take one of the lighters and join in and help light the luminaries. Choose a spot in front of Battery Robinett and pay homage to the brave men who died and were wounded all around us.

I will be at the Confederate camp all day supervising the weapons firings. Stop by and say hey.

See you there,

Tom

Grand Illumination_0335.JPG

• Like 2

TomP and All.......

I've been to the illumination at Antietam where they have 23,000 luminaries.  It's quite impressive.  People line up their cars as early as 3:00 p.m. the first Saturday in December and the lines go on for miles along the highway waiting for dark to drive through the battlefield.  Lots of re-enactors are also encamped amid the luminaries at Antietam.....great opportunities for photos. It's an annual tradition for most folks here in Maryland and Virginia.  Sounds like the one at Corinth will be similar.

THE MANASSAS BELLE

• Like 1

Tom

What a wonderful idea... thanks for bringing it to our attention. I have never experienced an Illumination on a National Battlefield, but I have been fortunate to attend Illuminations conducted at other venues, and they never fail to act as a re-awakening of appreciation for the significance of the event being commemorated: something is compelling about "welcoming light" at a time and location normally dominated by darkness...

Ozzy

• Like 1