Shiloh Discussion Group
Billy1977

Going to Shiloh tomorrow

Hello everybody, I'm finally getting around to going to the Shiloh battlefield tomorrow. Never been there before. Does anyone who has been there have any advice on the best way to see the battlefield? Maybe starting in the southwest of the battle area and working my way northeast?

• Like 1

It is said that no trip to the Shiloh National Millitary Park is complete unless you bushwhack the Dill Branch Ravine.  I recommend starting on the south edge at Tablet 401 (Gage's Battery), near the Indian Mounds and traversing over to the north side, coming out slightly to the west of the Visitor Center.

In any event, walk as much of the battlefield as you can.  Maybe park at Rhea Springs, check out the new Mississippi monument, walk to Shiloh Church (recognizing that you are going through what was a morass on April 6), and then, assuming that you have time, continue on to Water Oaks Pond. 

• Like 1

Billy

I wasn't going to offer any suggestions (since I've never yet been to Shiloh National Battlefield) but Transylvania's reply got me thinking: aside from visiting the regimental camp sites and fighting positions of the units you're most interested in, I believe just being there... getting a feel for high terrain, slopes, and natural cover (provided by trees and shrubs and creek beds) is of most benefit. Then compare how it really looks, to how it appears on YouTube and Google Images.

And after you return home, start planning your next visit, to cover all the things you missed...

Ozzy

N.B.  One of my favourite places in the world is Singapore, partly due to its WWII history. For some reason, I believed the British surrender to the Japanese was conducted in the Raffles Hotel... and would always visit that iconic fixture whenever I managed a stop-over. Wasn't until my 14th visit that I realized the surrender was actually accomplished at the Ford Factory, near the centre of the island...