Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Ron

SHILOH QUIZ #10

Locate the location of the highest elevation on the Shiloh plateau, some call it the Shiloh Hill.  Please tell us what the elevation is.  The entire area of the battlefield and approach roads are included to find this point.  The prize for the correct answer is a meal at McDonalds, in Shelby Township Michigan.  You know that you can not pass up a meal as good as this.

Ron

Watch out for the flock of bulls.

Depends on what you consider the Shiloh plateau. According to the Trailshead map, the highest point in the Park is the spot where the Park boundary touches Bark Road at 590 ft. North of Shiloh Church is 480 ft, Sarah Bell cotton field is 490 ft. 500 ft. at Gladden's mortuary monument.

Jim

Jim,

Your answer is almost correct but falls a little short.  But Cheer up, you are so close that you are the winner.  Yes, the high spot is just beside the Bark Road just east of the gravel pit shown on the map on the south side of Bark Rd.  The map indicates the highest elevation on or near the battlefield is 600' high.  This location is east of the split off to the Eastern Corinth road. The Bark Road proceeds east to meet the River Road just above the ford over the Lick Creek.  This height is still the highest point on the park.  I am using a 1969 map of the area published by the Tennessee Valley Authority and the Geological Survey. I can bring your prize lunch to you if you don't mind a cold sandwich.  Maybe the flock of bulls can deliver it to you.  Perhaps my mention of the flock of flying bulls scarred a lot of people off. 

JIM IS THE WINNER.

I thought I had you people stumped.  Oh well, try again.

Ron