Shiloh Discussion Group
Jonny

I hope I am doing this right hello thank you for allowing me in your group. I've recently been studying my family tree after my father passed and learned my great-grandfather Daniel Draper Davis served in the Confederate Army. All I know is he enlisted on the 12th of January 1862 in Nashville Tennessee and it says 4th Alabama Batt. He lived in Cherokee County Alabama he was wounded at the Battle of Shiloh and never recovered from his wounds his wife even received a pension on him so I'm told finding information on this unit has been a nightmare it seems it changed a lot looking for some help

Welcome to the board, Jonny. Concerning your ancestor's unit, that would probably have to be the 4th Alabama Infantry Battalion, if he was at Shiloh. They were part of Trabue's brigade in Breckinridge's Reserve Corps and fought mostly on the western part of the battlefield. The battalion was detached from the rest of the brigade early on the 6th, according to Trabue's report. (Apparently there was also a report from the battalion commander, but it was unfortunately lost at some point.) The brigade helped to stop a strong Union counter-attack around mid-day on April 6th, and later helped surround and capture the Hornet's Nest defenders. Your ancestor's battalion saw some heavy fighting for a time on the 7th, so it's possible he was wounded on either day. 

Just doing a quick check, it appears the 4th Battalion was also known as the 10th Alabama Infantry Battalion, and in fact, this may have been its official designation. But, it also was apparently merged with other units at some point after Shiloh, and/or had its designation changed to the 16th Alabama Infantry Battalion. Then later it seems it was merged yet again, into the 55th Alabama Infantry. So yes, probably kind of a headache trying to sort through the records, depending on what unit the information is filed under. 

Here's a link to Colonel Trabue's report from Shiloh, if you'd like to read through it. He mentions the 4th Alabama Battalion a few times, especially concerning their action on April 7th. Scroll down to the bottom of the first page (613) to see the start of Trabue's report. It runs through page 621, and you can read his account of the April 7th fighting on pages 617-618...

http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moawar;cc=moawar;idno=waro0010;q1=620;view=image;seq=631;size=100;page=root

On a side note - the park is commemorating the battle anniversary next week, and on Saturday night (the 8th), will illuminate the park with almost 24,000 candles, one for each casualty from the battle. Since your great-grandfather was a casualty, one of those candles will be for him.

Perry

• Like 4

Jonny

Having gone through this exercise, myself, a few years ago, these are the steps I recommend:

1.  Track down Daniel Draper Davis at find-a-grave [a lot of information is included on headstones. Also, relatives you can contact for information often leave "memorials" and contact details (through find-a-grave manager home page)].
  2. Are you confident this is your ancestor? [I have spent hours chasing down leads for someone I thought was related, only to discover that person had an identical name and birth year to my relative.] Sources of proof include family Bible; important documents showing correct spelling of name, such as Tax and Census records. These records can be found through familysearch.org (free site) and ancestry.com.
  3. If you are convinced you have the correct person, now investigate his Civil War unit. You state "4th Alabama Batt" which I assume is 4th Alabama Battalion,  Major James Clifton, present at Battle of Shiloh as part of Trabue's 1st Brigade, Breckinridge's Corps. Perry Cuskey in his above post indicates the Battalion was detached from the 4th Alabama Infantry Regiment; recommend begin your search with that regiment. [It is known some Alabama units recruited men in Knoxville, Tennessee so it is possible D. D. Davis was recruited in Nashville, or mustered in there.]
  4. If "4th Alabama Battalion" and "4th Alabama Infantry Regiment" draw a blank, there are twelve other Alabama units recorded at the Battle of Shiloh [also the 3rd Alabama Battalion was at Fort Donelson.] In meantime, we will concentrate on 4th Alabama Battalion (and 4th Alabama Infantry)...
  5. http://www.algw.org/cherokee/   Cherokee County genweb [Search for military units associated with the county and muster rolls for individual soldiers.]
  6. http://digital.archives.alabama.gov/cdm/search/collection/voices  Alabama Archives  [Search for 4th Alabama Infantry and D.D. Davis and 4th Alabama Battalion and Major James Clifton.]
  7. http://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Cherokee_County,_Alabama_Genealogy    records for Cherokee County Alabama [when searching, try Last name only; First and Last name; and First initial of First name with Last name (D. Davis)].
  8. http://www.civilwarhome.com/alareg.html   Shotgun's Home of the Civil War  [Investigate Alabama unit records for 4th Infantry Regiment, 16th Infantry Regiment and 55th Alabama Infantry. You may find a roster that includes your ancestor.]
  9. http://genealogytrails.com/ala/early_settlers_index.html  Early Settlers to Alabama [If the Davis Family had been in Alabama a while, you may find their information recorded in this resource.]

In addition, I've had a look at NPS Soldier and Sailors (a precursor to getting records from NARA) and there are several men with name of "Daniel Davis" listed; so will have to narrow your search, then try http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers.htm  [This NPS site requires you know your ancestor's details, otherwise very easy to be thrown onto a "near match."]

Hope this helps...

Ozzy

N.B.  While having a look at the above references, found Lieutenant Colonel Robert B. Snodgrass (reported to be in command of 4th Alabama Battalion at various times.)

Edited by Ozzy
LtCol Snodgrass' Alabama Battalion

On 3/30/2017 at 7:03 PM, Perry Cuskey said:

Welcome to the board, Jonny. Concerning your ancestor's unit, that would probably have to be the 4th Alabama Infantry Battalion, if he was at Shiloh. They were part of Trabue's brigade in Breckinridge's Reserve Corps and fought mostly on the western part of the battlefield. The battalion was detached from the rest of the brigade early on the 6th, according to Trabue's report. (Apparently there was also a report from the battalion commander, but it was unfortunately lost at some point.) The brigade helped to stop a strong Union counter-attack around mid-day on April 6th, and later helped surround and capture the Hornet's Nest defenders. Your ancestor's battalion saw some heavy fighting for a time on the 7th, so it's possible he was wounded on either day. 

Just doing a quick check, it appears the 4th Battalion was also known as the 10th Alabama Infantry Battalion, and in fact, this may have been its official designation. But, it also was apparently merged with other units at some point after Shiloh, and/or had its designation changed to the 16th Alabama Infantry Battalion. Then later it seems it was merged yet again, into the 55th Alabama Infantry. So yes, probably kind of a headache trying to sort through the records, depending on what unit the information is filed under. 

Here's a link to Colonel Trabue's report from Shiloh, if you'd like to read through it. He mentions the 4th Alabama Battalion a few times, especially concerning their action on April 7th. Scroll down to the bottom of the first page (613) to see the start of Trabue's report. It runs through page 621, and you can read his account of the April 7th fighting on pages 617-618...

http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moawar;cc=moawar;idno=waro0010;q1=620;view=image;seq=631;size=100;page=root

On a side note - the park is commemorating the battle anniversary next week, and on Saturday night (the 8th), will illuminate the park with almost 24,000 candles, one for each casualty from the battle. Since your great-grandfather was a casualty, one of those candles will be for him.

Perry

Thank you so much I have a cousin in Birmingham Alabama helping me cousin with information in Piedmont where most of the family are from I know he was with the 4th Alabama Infantry he was only in for six months enlisted and Nashville Tennessee and was wounded at Shiloh and then sent home and discharged because of wounds received he was never able to work again and my great-grandmother received a small pension years later again thank you search for places to start

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Jonny

Believe I found him (scroll down to Daniel Davis):

http://files.usgwarchives.net/al/cherokee/military/civilwar/other/civilwar21nmt.txt   Civil War Soldiers buried in Cherokee County, Alabama

Linda Ayres has contact details.

Ozzy

Thank you so much yes that's him you are a wizard after being wounded he was sent home and discharged from service for wound's received (family says he was shot or revived shrapnel in the belly that he never recovered from and couldn't work although he lived for many years he enlisted 12 Jan 1862 Nashville Tenn and was honorably Disc 26 June 1862 I have to visit this park soon thank you so much again.

• Like 1