Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Then & Now 1960's Version

Below is a series of then & now pictures from April 1966 and April 2017. The 1966 pictures are from a set of Shiloh images posted on CivilWarAlbum.com by contributing photographer Ed Conner. You can see the original images at this link, which I'll include again at the bottom of this post:  http://www.civilwaralbum.com/shiloh/old1.htm

The 'now' versions are from my trip to the park for the 2017 anniversary. As you'll see when you visit the link, I didn't re-create all of Ed's photos, but I did manage to get a few. Had to leave some for next time though. :) But it's pretty interesting to see in what ways the park has and hasn't changed over the years. (Note: If you click on the images, it will open a full-size version.) 

First up, looking along the barrel of a James Rifle from Mann's Battery in the Peach Orchard. You're facing south, along the Union defensive line. No peach trees in the 'now' version. Unlike the 1966 image, they're all behind you. 

6.jpg20170407_100002b.jpg

Bloody Pond, looking toward the west. The Hamburg-Savannah Road is behind you, with the Peach Orchard to your left. I'm not 100% certain of the direction in the original, but this was my best guess. 

8.jpg20170408_005854a.jpg

A.S. Johnston's death site. Thanks to Michele for helping me figure out the right angle on this one. Although I still don't think I got it lined up quite right. Sometimes it can be more challenging than you might think, but that's part of the fun of it. 

3.jpg20170408_005019.jpg

Robertson's Confederate battery along the Eastern Corinth Road. Spain Field is to your left-front, and Barnes Field is behind you and across the road to your right. That's a Wiard Rifle in the 1966 image.

17.jpeg20170409_001316a.jpg

The monument to the much-maligned 71st Ohio, near David Stuart's headquarters marker.

23_small.jpeg20170409_073611b.jpg

The text for the original image identifies it as the First Tent Hospital monument, and while this is the correct site for the hospital, this is actually the 71st Ohio monument. The marker for the hospital site disappeared at some point, but there is now an excellent wayside marker for the hospital describing the area at the time of the battle.

Next, Schwart's battery along Grant's Last Line. These small earthworks, tossed up by the members of the battery on the night of April 6th, were (and are) the only earthworks on the battlefield. 

12_small.jpg20170409_130127a.jpg

Duncan Field, from near the Minnesota Monument. Tuttle's Iowa troops were defending the Sunken Road at this point. You can just make out Ross's headquarters marker below the tree-line in the center-distance, along the Main Corinth Road. 

22.jpeg20170409_103514a.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks to Mr. Ed Conner for sharing these great pictures on CivilWarAlbum.com. Photographs are like little time capsules, freezing a moment in time, and allowing us to compare that moment with one of our own. Here's that link again. Check out the other pictures on the site, as they're worth a visit! http://www.civilwaralbum.com/shiloh/old1.htm

Perry

• Like 3

Ha, I don't think Frassanito has anything to worry about, but thanks. :)

Roger, I was there from the 5th to the 9th, during the anniversary events. It was a great extended weekend. 

• Like 2

Here's my own little Then & Now submission.  The one on the left was taken in 2014, the one on the right in 2017.  Note the angle of the sun, the position of the sunglasses, and the placement of the arms. :)

Picture1.jpg

• Like 4

Perry

Great images, well sited...

Was thinking how of all the parks and historic sites visited over the years, few of the battlefields were visited by my family more than once; and we didn't take a lot of photos. Just picked up a few postcards, instead. So, here's a postcard (to illustrate what's available on ebay):

Shiloh Church Pittsburg Landing Tenneessee Tn Postcard Pc Circ. 1940s Civil War

All the best

Ozzy

N.B.  Great images from you, too, Michelle.   :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Michele said:

Here's my own little Then & Now submission.  The one on the left was taken in 2014, the one on the right in 2017.  Note the angle of the sun, the position of the sunglasses, and the placement of the arms. :)

Picture1.jpg

Caught me in my time-traveling stare on the left. Or wondering if that person knows it's supposed to be one-way through the parking lot. On the right, I'm wondering where the big cannon by the river disappeared to. ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Perry

Great images, well sited...

Was thinking how of all the parks and historic sites visited over the years, few of the battlefields were visited by my family more than once; and we didn't take a lot of photos. Just picked up a few postcards, instead. So, here's a postcard (to illustrate what's available on ebay):

Shiloh Church Pittsburg Landing Tenneessee Tn Postcard Pc Circ. 1940s Civil War

All the best

Ozzy

N.B.  Great images from you, too, Michelle.   :)

I've run across some pretty cool-looking old postcards from the park, on Ebay. Never bid on one, but maybe I should have. 

• Like 1