Shiloh Discussion Group
Manassas1

Civil War Weekend Cancelled in Manassas

Hello.....

In case there were any re-enactors or historians heading to Virginia next weekend.......Due to the current atmosphere here in Virginia, the long tradition of "Civil War Weekend" scheduled for August 24-25 in downtown Manassas (Bull Run) is officially cancelled.  The times, they are a-changing.

THE MANASSAS BELLE

• Like 1

Belle

As I (sadly) watch developments from the other side of the world -- beginning with "erasing history" in Memphis, and then New Orleans -- and now the latest quest to deny history (instead of adequately explaining history) I am reminded of a quote found in George Orwell's 1984 (adjusted for emphasis):

"He who controls the Present, controls the Past. He who controls the Past, controls the Future."

Part of why I enjoy the study of History, is the challenge of "trying to make sense." I especially enjoy this site, SDG, as it allows "bouncing ideas" and "finding clarity through testing, via discussion and argument." To arbitrarily demand, "This is how it is, and that's final," is not scientific; tests nothing; and may feel good, in the short term. But true understanding only comes by weighing evidence; not by arbitrarily breaking the scales.

My two cents...

Ozzy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The street scum trying to erase our history here in the United States are our own homegrown Jihad. They are one small degree away from the barbarians of the middle east that would destroy Roman ruins or blow up the Buddhist carvings, but probably could not give you a coherent reason why. 

This topic is closed to further replies, and the subject is not to be revived anywhere else on the board. It states very clearly on the main page under the Campfire Forum that modern-day social or political issues are off-limits for discussion. The initial notice about the cancellation is fine, but that's where it needed to end. 

Perry