Shiloh Discussion Group

Mike, " I hear that its supposed to be a good year for colors, lets hope so." Weatherman out of Jackson said the other night that due to hot dry weather, the fall colors will probably be late and not as bright.

1 hour ago, mona said:

are yall not going to be able to come this year?

Not this year, sadly. 

Definitely need to get back out there, haven't been to the Park since the Mississippi Monument dedication ceremony, and that was almost 2 years ago. 

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:58 AM, WI16thJim said:

Mike, " I hear that its supposed to be a good year for colors, lets hope so." Weatherman out of Jackson said the other night that due to hot dry weather, the fall colors will probably be late and not as bright.

Damn!!!!  I was thinking of a photog friend in the east.  They were more wet this years and expecting better colors.  I still have hope..........Michele and I are going to Gettysburg the week of Thanksgiving.

On 9/30/2017 at 9:12 AM, mona said:

well i hate to learn this....i know beauregard misses coming..maybe next year.

I've never seen him so tired, than after he spent most of the day out and about at the battlefield, he was definitely tuckered out, spoiled puppy. :)

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, WI16thJim said:

Mike, hold on to that hope. Everyone knows the weatherman is always wrong. This is what the back yard has started looking like.

DSC06510.JPG

I'm holding out hope.........any color is going to look good to me. In Houston we only see fall colors in Hobby Lobby.

I intend to lead a Not-So-Epic hike covering the advance of Trabue's Brigade on the First Day.  We will meet at the Tennessee State Monument near Water Oaks Pond at 9:00 am on Sunday, November 12.  From there, we will move to Crescent Field, then on to Tablets 448  and 469.  We will bushwack across a branch of Tilghman Creek, arriving at a bluff overlooking the Cavalry Road bridge over Tilghman and will proceed on to Tablet 449. After discussing the actions of Trabue's Brigade there, I must confess that I am uncertain what to do next.  If the weather is good and we are feeling energetic, then we will cross Cloud Field to the Indian Mounds, where Trabue's Brigade was briefly located late on April 6 and then return to Water Oaks Pond. If we are feeling less than energetic, then, from Tablet 449, we will return to Water Oaks Pond using the Corinth Road.  I estimate the distance of the shorter hike to be about two miles.

I do not intend to lead this peregrination if it is raining that morning.

• Like 1

Dr Gentsch's hike on November 11 is a reprise of his Shiloh and the Civil War in Regards to the First World War: A Comparative Hike, which he led last April 7.  He made much use of The War to End All Wars: The American Military Experience in World War I by by Edward M Coffman during the April 7 hike.  As I recall, he had a gaggle of his students along on that hike, and he cut it short, covering ten miles rather than the advertised twelve miles, because some of the gaggle weren't doing so good.

• Like 1

I regret that I will be unable to attend the 2017 Epic Hike due to a family situation and I will not be leading my Not-So-Epic Hike on November 12.

Please remove me and Mark Weber from the list of prospective participants.

Next year in Pittsburgh Landing!

Just a reminder that we're meeting in the visitors center parking lot at 7:30 on Saturday, and we'll head out to Crump's Landing once we've got everyone checked in and paid.

Right now it looks like our good-weather luck is going to hold for another year, with a projected high in the 60's and only a slight chance for rain on Saturday. So keep your fingers crossed. 

Perry

• Like 1

Extended weather forecast (for those who believe in fairy tales) for the Epic Hike weekend:

Jackson TV:  Friday 52 deg day/ 38 deg night partly sunny (during the day). Sat. 58/44 partly sunny. Sunday 60/46 with 20% chance of afternoon showers.

AccuWeather:  Fri 59/39 sunny Sat. 67/53 increasing clouds with 12% chance of rain Sun. 73/42 with 30% chance of showers.

• Thanks 1

Everyone,

Sorry to do this at the eleventh hour, but I am going to have to cancel due to an illness in my family.  Take lots of pictures and video, please.

Everyone be safe and I'll try to make it next year.

Mike

I have my reservation in Savannah and plan to be there as scheduled.

Since the research I have done over the years involves Prentiss, Peabody, Powell, the opening of the fight and the Sunken Road and Hornets’ Nest I invite anybody from this group and any others who have an interest to meet me at 9 AM on Sunday, Nov. 12, at the Prentiss headquarters monument where I will share information on Prentiss.

Then I plan to visit Peabody’s monument to have a discussion of what happened in the opening of the fight.

After that we will make a trip to the Hornets’ Nest to discuss the action there and along the

Sunken Road

Other details like the amount of walking and time frame will be worked out once we get started. I have no fixed time for ending but figure on continuing as long as there is an interest to do so.

I was going to offer to do this after the morning Trabue hike but since those plans have changed I adjusted to start Sunday morning.

Hank

• Like 4

Weather forecast update: Channel 7 Jackson and AccuWeather seem to be coming together.

Channel 7: Fri 49/31 sunny, Sat 60/45 sunny, Sun 58/39 20% chance of rain.

AccuWeather: Fri 54/30 sunny, Sat 63/43 partly cloudy, Sun 60/42 increasing clouds.

Thanks to Tony Willoughby for recording these videos, and making them accessible (especially for those of us unable to make the journey): this series of three is well worth the time, as areas important to both April 6 and 7 of 1862 are featured, much of which is generally difficult to visit, even if you do make the trip. And Tim Smith's explanations greatly assist with understanding why aspects of Shiloh progressed in the way they did.

Well Done, Tony!

Ozzy

• Like 2