Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Pea Ridge Engagement

Hello all,

I was reading Philip Smith's diary the other day and I read about an engagement that occurred at a place called Pea Ridge on April 24, 1862, approximately 7 miles out from the Union camp. 

Does anyone know where that action took place?  It sounds like it was a pretty spirited little fight.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

• Like 1

Mike

On this SDG site is a post by C. Rickman in topic, "Diary of Elsie Caroline Duncan Hurt" (18 SEP 2009): "Pea Ridge was northeast of Monterey in the area that is now known as Gravel Hill. Pea Ridge was located on the Purdy - Corinth Road. Monterey is now known as Michie on the maps." 

The attached link, "Tennessee Civil War GIS Project" is an interactive map, which professes to "show all the Civil War battles and skirmishes that took place in Tennessee."  http://tnmap.tn.gov/civilwar/ 

In the box at right of map of Tennessee, in the option "Zoom to Engagement," click on the "down arrow." A list of all 200+ skirmishes in the State is displayed, in alphabetical order. Scroll down to "Pea Ridge" [click]. Map at left reveals sites of skirmishes in vicinity of Pea Ridge;  and click on "TN Civil War Sourcebook" at bottom of box for information IRT skirmishes in vicinity of Pea Ridge.

Union commanders used "Pea Ridge" and "Monterey" interchangeably, so good to have a look at location of Monterey, too. In "Zoom to Engagement," click on the down arrow, and scroll down to "Monterey" [four or five skirmishes listed.] My best guess is the Skirmish of April 24th occurred in vicinity of one of these two sites -- Monterey or Pea Ridge -- and can be pin-pointed by reference to written records, indicating distances and roads in vicinity.

In the Official Records [OR 10 page 2] are listed the skirmishes that took place in vicinity Pittsburg Landing, Monterey, Pea Ridge and "along the Corinth Road" that occurred in April 1862. http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moawar;cc=moawar;q1=Monterey;rgn=full text;idno=waro0010;didno=waro0010;node=waro0010%3A2;view=image;seq=0020  The "Skirmish at Pea Ridge" you indicate may be found in McClernand's Report of April 27th [OR page 652] or it may be the "Skirmish on the Corinth Road on April 24" [OR page 2.] On page 28, General W.T. Sherman ("Abstract from Record of Events...") gives his location of Pea Ridge as "ten miles towards Corinth."

Regards

Ozzy

Thanks for the help, Ozzy. 

I'll have to take a look at the site when I  come up in November.

Mike

• Like 1

Mike

A part of the significance of the "list of skirmishes and engagements" associated with the Tennessee Civil War interactive map is that it records so many skirmishes between Pittsburg Landing and Corinth. There is a tendency to "poke fun" at Henry Halleck and his Crawl to Corinth [I am guilty], but from the rearguard action of Fallen Timbers (April 8th) until the second week in June 1862 (when pursuit of Beauregard's force south of the ghost town of Corinth was suspended), there was a skirmish, recon or raid nearly every day (almost all of which resulted in casualties.) The juggernaut of Halleck's Army of the Mississippi finally reached Pea Ridge April 30/May 1... and set up camp there (see letter page 199 in attached reference Life and Letters of T. Kilby Smith, 54th Ohio Zouaves) but there were significant actions at Farmington (May 4, 9, 10, 12 and 19); the Russell House (just northwest of Corinth) was scene of significant action on May 17; and an attempted "ambush" by Confederate forces on May 21st resulted in an engagement so confused and bloody...  Private William Horsfall won the Congressional Medal of Honor there.

My point: the entire length of the Corinth Road, from Fallen Timbers... south to Corinth... appears to be a jumbled collection of military actions and campgrounds, in some places with one significant site overlapping another.

For a comprehensive list of "Skirmishes, Recons and Raids, from April 29 - June 10th 1862" see OR 10 page 660.

All the best

Ozzy

References:  http://archive.org/stream/kilbysmiththomas00smitrich#page/198/mode/2up/search/Corinth  Life and Letters of T. Kilby Smith

http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moawar;cc=moawar;q1=Farmington;rgn=full text;idno=waro0010;didno=waro0010;node=waro0010%3A2;view=image;seq=0678   OR 10 page 660

• Like 1

Halleck followed his "make haste slowly" philosophy to the letter during this campaign .  Imagine how things might have been different if he had been more aggressive and slipped the reins of his subordinate commanders when they had upwards of 120,000 Federal troops assembled outside Corinth.

The attack on and capture of the Russell House is another area of interest for me, as the 8th Missouri was also involved in that action. 

I am continually amazed by the amount of knowledge that can be found here.