Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
TimJeffers

Hi from Chattanooga

Thanks for adding me to your group. I have been interested in the civil war since we moved to SE TN when I was a kid (long ago). The cheapest places that my folks to take us kids were the battlefields and museums. But I had not studied in depth until recently.

My father, Adrian Jeffers, has been working on a book about the Iowa 3d Infantry Reg for about 20 years. His connection is that his great uncle Samuel Jeffers served with that unit, and was killed at Jackson. My dad's memory is suffering of late, which has prevented him from finalizing the book, and he asked me to edit it and prepare it for publication. I had no idea what I would find as I dug into his manuscript. It is a compilation of many journals, diaries, letters, newspaper articles etc written by the soldiers in the unit (including S Thompson's Recollections With the Third Iowa Regiment), along with citings of Official Records etc. Anyway, I found myself becoming captivated and intimately connected with these guys, and overwhelmed with the task of pulling this together. Dad's eyes well up with tears as he tells me his desire to keep their story alive.

So now I am going thru his book, checking his sources, reading other related works, listening to podcasts, checking websites, hunting photos, etc trying to do justice to his magnum opus. I really hope I can get it together while he can read it.

Tim

Tim, welcome to Shiloh Discussion Group; and wishing you every success with completing and publishing your Father's work. The 3rd Iowa had a proud history, and made a substantial contribution to General Prentiss's stand in the Hornet's Nest at Shiloh (maintaining the northeast end of Prentiss's line, after General Hurlbut departed.) And later, in July 1863, obeyed orders but suffered mightily in assaulting the Confederate left at Jackson -- to this day, unknown whether General Ord was "punishing" Jacob Lauman; or if General Lauman merely misunderstood his orders from Ord. But, there is a lot interesting about the 3rd Iowa's Civil War experience, from its "unofficial" organization at Davenport in April/May 1861, to its muster out in July 1865.

All the best

Ozzy

N.B.  I know you are familiar with these references, but am posting them for benefit of others interested in the 3rd Iowa Volunteer Infantry Regiment:

http://iagenweb.org/civilwar/regiment/infantry/03rd/history.htm  History of 3rd Iowa Infantry

http://iagenweb.org/civilwar/regiment/infantry/03rd/co-go.htm  Roster of 3rd Iowa Infantry

http://andspeakingofwhich.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/the-siege-of-jackson.html  "That incident" at Jackson, Mississippi in July 1863.

thanks - I'm sure I will be picking your collective brains. I am already chasing down some leads from earlier posts that mentioned the 3d Iowa and ordered a couple more books. The depth of knowledge on this site is impressive.

I visited Shiloh with my dad a few years ago (along with Hatchie's Bridge and Corinth), when he was back here for a visit, but it was before I had gotten into the book and we did not have much time. I plan on coming back across the state for a closer look.  I hope to be able to do the hike in November.

Tim

• Like 1