Shiloh Discussion Group
Ozzy

West Point at Shiloh

Here is a test of your knowledge of West Point alumni present at Battle of Shiloh:

1. Who were the three highest-ranked graduates in their USMA Class, present at Shiloh? (Hint: it wasn't U.S. Grant, ranked 21st in USMA Class of 1843; and it wasn't William Tecumseh Sherman, ranked 6th in his USMA Class of 1840... but these three graduates were ranked one, two and three in their respective USMA classes.)
  2. Which two U. S. Military Academy graduates, present at Shiloh, wrote books prior to Battle of Shiloh on military tactics, or military procedures?
  3. Name five of the six Military Academy graduates, present at Shiloh, who served as instructors, Superintendent, or Commandant of Cadets at West Point. (Hint: although George H. Thomas served as Instructor of Cavalry Tactics at West Point, he arrived too late to take part in Battle of Shiloh.)
  4. Which Federal officer at Shiloh graduated from the same USMA Class as Leonidas Polk?
  5. Who was the youngest West Point alumnus at Shiloh (Class of 1861, but resigned before graduation to join the Confederacy)?
  6. Which institution of higher learning had more alumni present at Pittsburg Landing/Crump's/Savannah on 6-7 April 1862: 

West Point ?                        or                       Upper Iowa University ?

All the best

Ozzy

Another hint: all answers can be found through reference http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Places/America/United_States/Army/USMA/Cullums_Register/ and following the cues.

Mona

It's an "open book" quiz. Answer-by-installment is perfectly fine.

Looking forward to your answer(s)...

Ozzy

thanks...#1 McPherson  2-Beauregard  3-Halleck

#4  Thomas Worthington 46th Ohio

# 5  Major John Kelly  9th Ark

working on the others...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mona

First a confession: the reason for introducing this particular quiz was merely to associate everyone with the existence of Cullum's Register (now available online http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Places/America/United_States/Army/USMA/Cullums_Register/Classes/1827.html as a sample for USMA Class of 1827). Cullum's Register provides an index to all graduates of West Point; and offers details of Military Academy graduates, according to their Class Year. I tend to access information via "graduate -- usma -- penelope" (for example, Halleck usma penelope) in order to find information not easily found anywhere else. Of course, one of the failings of Cullums is it does not provide details of alumni who did not graduate (and many resigned before graduation to join the Confederate Cause.)

As for the quiz answers you provided:

1)  All correct (and the Number 3 ranked graduate could also be Joseph J. Woods, Colonel of the 12th Iowa Infantry, USMA Class of 1847 -- who was wounded and "captured" during capitulation of the Sunken Road defenders, but "re-captured" next day.)  In the same graduating Class of 1839, ranked 4th (next behind Henry Halleck) was Major Jeremy Gilmer, Confederate Engineer, who was involved at Fort Henry, Fort Donelson... and was wounded (Day 2) at Shiloh.

4)  Correct: Thomas Worthington did indeed graduate from the same class (1827) as Leonidas Polk... along with Napoleon B. Buford, William Maynadier (both at Island No.10), and Gabriel J. Rains (who headed the Confederate Torpedo Bureau.) All of these men would also have known Albert Sidney Johnston (USMA Class of 1826). And Thomas Worthington actually took a "demotion" in order to become involved with the 46th Ohio Volunteer Infantry (and possibly because of his former standing in Ohio, had friction with William Tecumseh Sherman in the weeks prior to Shiloh.)

5)  Not only correct, but Thanks for pointing out John Kelly of the 9th Arkansas. The other non-graduate of USMA Class of 1861, present at Shiloh, was Felix Robertson (who commanded the Alabama/Florida Battery, attached to Adley Gladden's Brigade)   http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11064 

Regards

Ozzy

• Like 1

i had robertson down also but question asked for i do i choose kelly because years ago i  with some others followed him in battle here.this is a good site and i am figuring out slowly so hopfully will have other answers but everybody else...chime in if youve got them.

Time for a few hints:

• Question #2:  One man fought for the North; the other fought for the South.
  • Question #3:  This question was posed, merely to introduce the level of military knowledge present... on both sides.
  • Question #6:  By my count there were 19 men present at Shiloh who were Alumni of Upper Iowa University. (To be counted as an alumnus, it is not required to have graduated: merely to have been enrolled/attended classes -- therefore, Robertson and Kelly count as Alumni of West Point.)

Cheers

Ozzy

Mona

Half of the answer to Question #2 is indeed William Hardee (wrote "Rifle and Light Infantry Tactics" in 1856.) The other half of the answer is a bit tricky, with the book entitled, "The Volunteers Manual: compiled from U. S. standard authorities, with important notes and a military glossary."

Cheers

Ozzy

N.B.  Any thoughts on why Lew Wallace was kept at Crump's Landing, after U.S. Grant arrived at Savannah (March 17) and took command in the field?

well this 2nd manual is a puzzle...i did find one volunteer manuakl but the author --dewitt clinton baxter of penn. is not a wedt point grad...so i will keep digging.

• Like 1

Mona

I was going to provide another hint, but Tim came up with the correct answer: Thomas Worthington.

Well Done Tim!

Ozzy

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 6:09 PM, Ozzy said:

Mona

Half of the answer to Question #2 is indeed William Hardee (wrote "Rifle and Light Infantry Tactics" in 1856.) The other half of the answer is a bit tricky, with the book entitled, "The Volunteers Manual: compiled from U. S. standard authorities, with important notes and a military glossary."

Cheers

Ozzy

N.B.  Any thoughts on why Lew Wallace was kept at Crump's Landing, after U.S. Grant arrived at Savannah (March 17) and took command in the field?

Wallace arrived at Crump 3-11-62 and was ordered by halleck to raid M&O between Bethel Stn and Corinth. He was to remain at Crump Landing for several reasons: 1- to guard over a large amount of supplies that were there 2-continue to watch the Confederate troops around Purdy 3-keep the river open so Grant will not get cut off 4-and to advance to Corinth on a different road

• Like 1