Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Rbn3

Maysville, Kentucky and Shiloh Generals

U.S. Grant spent the winter of 1836-7 at Richeson and Rand's Academy in Maysville, Kentucky. He stayed in the same place as his father had in 1812 while apprenticing with Peter Grant in his tannery.

Two other prominent Shiloh generals also had lived in the same house at different times in Maysville (but not the one where the Grants stayed). Who were they?

• Like 1

the 2 generals you ask of...lived in maysville during the war just at some time...i do know that nick clooney is from there...i think ive got the answer but will await your reply.

• Like 1

William "Bull" Nelson was born in Maysville, so I assume that he is one.  Sidney Johnston was born in Washington, Ky, which is in Mason County, of which Maysville is the county seat.  Is he the other?

My turn - what was the original name of Maysville?

• Like 2

Rbn3

Thanks for posting this quiz question. In the course of studying the Civil War careers of Ulysses Grant and William Nelson, there appeared to be "some bond" of friendship between them (until the falling out over "Who gets credit for Shiloh?") And with Nelson attending Norwich Academy 1837-1839, there may have been overlap of attendance with Grant at Maysville Academy during the term 1836-7.

Transylvania, my guesses for "original name" of Maysville: either Kenton Station or Washington... or maybe even "Limestone."

Regards

Ozzy

References:   http://www.maysvilleacademy.com/about   Brief History of Maysville Academy

http://www.maysvilleacademy.com/images/Prospectus.pdf  Prospectus for today's Maysville Academy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Kenton  Brief wikipedia bio of frontiersman, Simon Kenton (aka Simon Butler)

Nelson and Johnston are the correct answers as Transylvania correctly pointed out. Here is a recent photo of the Johnston Nelson home in Maysville. I still cannot imagine why and how General Jefferson Davis got away with murdering Nelson.Johnston Nelson Home Maysville.JPG

see: Current, C.E: Montgomery (Alabama) Advertiser, 8 June 1907.

My understanding is that Limestone was the original name of Maysville.  Simon Kenton settled in the vicinity of Maysville constructed a fort (station) about three miles inland from Maysville (if the Wikipedia is to be believed), which lies on the Ohio River.    

Edited by Transylvania
clairification
  • Like 1