Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Ozzy

Larger than Life

There are a number of figures, both North and South, that are iconic: they seem to encapsulate the essence of the American Civil War. For me, these include Grant and Sherman; Beauregard and Bragg; Robert E. Lee; Andrew Foote; George H. Thomas; N.B. Forrest and J.H. Morgan; and, of course, Jefferson Davis and Abraham Lincoln.

Perhaps you look at my list of eleven names, and feel "someone important is missing" ...maybe David Farragut, or Raphael Semmes, or Stonewall Jackson. Regardless, if you accept that six-and-a-half of the "iconic figures" (Thomas arrived late), were present at Shiloh; can you think of another battle that featured as many icons, or more?

Just another reason why the Battle of Shiloh is so remarkable...

Ozzy

• Like 1

Rbn3

I take your point... and here is an attempt at explanation: the eleven names listed in my original post "came off the top of my head." After a few minutes of additional consideration, I thought of Semmes, Farragut and Stonewall Jackson... and Mother Bickerdyke. I decided to stick with the original eleven; but also recognize that any list of Civil War icons is open to debate.

Thanks for adding another important facet to the discussion...

Ozzy

I'd add Ophelia Shadbolt Amigh...who may have been the young woman with whom Bierce spoke on the transport crossing the Tennesee on the evening of April 6th. To my knowledge, she was the only Union participant at Shiloh to be honored with a full military funeral in Alabama. Her husband, Oscar, was with the 3rd Iowa and was wounded at Shiloh. He was never again quite "right". Their child, Benton Barracks Amigh, died at age 2 at his namesake. He had been "the pet of the regiment."

• Like 1