Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
WI16thJim

Wicker

File this under "No good deed goes unpunished" is BS. I was asked if I would take some pictures for Bjorn for something he is working on. The sites were all easy ones to reach, either by vehicle or telephoto lens, except the far side of Wicker Field due the a raise in the middle and 5 foot tall hay (we call this stuff weeds in WI). I went back yesterday and the farmer still hadn't tended to it. It was a beautiful day and the various ornery body parts that tend to plaque me felt decent, so I decided to try walking around the southern perimeter where a path had been mowed. As I was pulling up there a gentleman and his son (about 10 years old) were taking pictures at the Wicker Field sign. He then pulled up behind me as I was getting out and we talked for a few minutes. Turns out his name is Wicker and he is the Great great ... (?) grandson of farmer Wicker. They now live in Arkansas. He thought it was kinda cool my Grandfather had fought in that field. I encouraged him to join the SDG.com site as we all seem interested in the locals and some that are superinterested (I'm looking at you Ron). Bonus day at the park. If I hadn't been going out there for Bjorn, I would never have meet them.

• Like 2

Jim,

Thanks very much Jim.  Yes, I'm still interested in the local civilians of the time of the battle.  I just finished reading a article about this topic last week but reading this article reminded me of how much I have forgot.  I really don't like to do that because it was such a effort to accumulate the information the first time.  I'm not getting younger.  If you can contact the grandson Wicker again, I am interested in talking to him about the family.  I appreciate your continued interesting the subject.  

I'm curious as to is older, you or me.  If you are 80 or older, you lose.

Did you see my post about the camp of the 16th Wisconsin being moved.  During some work on the battlefield after the war, the road was moved to allow a clearer line of sight.  Don't remember when this was.  I posted it on the group web site.  Let me know and I will post it again.   

I wish it was me that moved to Shiloh instead of you.  If you need shoveling snow, don't call me.

Thanks

Ron 

• Like 1

I saw the post and enjoyed it. The encounter with the Wicker's was a short hello. I encouraged them to join the site. Here's hoping. I've got a spare room if you want to come down for a visit. I've still got 16 years till 80, so I guess I'm sorta in my old geezer internship.

Thanks for the answer Jim.  Don't hurry to catch up with me in age.  Slow down and enjoy life.  I would enjoy going to Shiloh Park but its not in the cards now.  Thanks for the invitation to visit you but can't just now.  Tell Mona I said hello.

Ron 

On 10/28/2017 at 4:19 PM, Ron said:

Thanks for the answer Jim.  Don't hurry to catch up with me in age.  Slow down and enjoy life.  I would enjoy going to Shiloh Park but its not in the cards now.  Thanks for the invitation to visit you but can't just now.  Tell Mona I said hello.

Ron 

HI Ron!!!