Shiloh Discussion Group
Derrick

Hello From Kentucky

Hello everyone!  My name is Derrick Lindow and I am from the great state of Kentucky.  I teach 8th grade US History and love learning more about this battle.  It has always had been the one that just seems to pull me in to learn more and more.  I reenact the war portraying a Confederate in the 5th Tennessee and as a Union soldier in the 17th Kentucky.  I am also very excited about taking my wife to the battlefield for her first visit over this year's spring break and then bringing about 30 8th graders there in May.  Happy to be joining this site!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WI16thJim said:

Welcome Derrick. And thanks for passing on history to the young. A very noble profession indeed!

Jim

Thanks Jim!

Excellent work Derrick. Where is your school? I had a chance to visit Kentucky a few times over the last 10 years and loved every bit of it. Roger from Spokane.

3 hours ago, rwaller said:

Excellent work Derrick. Where is your school? I had a chance to visit Kentucky a few times over the last 10 years and loved every bit of it. Roger from Spokane.

Hi Roger, I'm in Owensboro in the western part of the state along the Ohio River.  I tend to be a little biased, so I definitely agree with you!

1 hour ago, Perry Cuskey said:

Welcome aboard, Derrick. :) 

Thanks Perry!  Looking forward to getting to know the community here.

3 hours ago, Derrick said:

Hi Roger, I'm in Owensboro in the western part of the state along the Ohio River.  I tend to be a little biased, so I definitely agree with you!

Hey Derrick, I've spent some time in Evansville and have been through Owensboro a couple of once going south the Bowling Green and once crossing back across the river, both times looking up Lincoln's birthplace, and his first boyhood home along Knob Creek and his second boyhood home in Indiana. Loved it all.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, rwaller said:

Hey Derrick, I've spent some time in Evansville and have been through Owensboro a couple of once going south the Bowling Green and once crossing back across the river, both times looking up Lincoln's birthplace, and his first boyhood home along Knob Creek and his second boyhood home in Indiana. Loved it all.

We go to Evansville quite a bit.  When I was a kid we used to go camping at Lincoln Park every chance we could get.  We used to go all over that place!  For some reason, I haven't been to the birthplace since I was 9 hears old, and I really want to go back!

• Like 1

Hope you can attend some of the hikes this spring.  I guess it might be difficult for a school teacher to get off for the April 6 (Friday) hikes, but maybe you can join some of the April 7 ones.  Shiloh National Military Park is always worth visiting!

17 hours ago, Transylvania said:

Hope you can attend some of the hikes this spring.  I guess it might be difficult for a school teacher to get off for the April 6 (Friday) hikes, but maybe you can join some of the April 7 ones.  Shiloh National Military Park is always worth visiting!

the ones schedul;ed for the 8th will good good also.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 3:21 PM, Transylvania said:

On 2/28/2018 at 8:59 AM, mona said:

the ones schedul;ed for the 8th will good good also.

I've actually been talking to my wife about coming down and attending one this year.  Those dates are actually during our Spring Break, but we have a family event in Chattanooga those days.  I'd love to catch another one though.  Any hikes planned for the summer or even the fall?  I plan on making a few trips there this year to take a closer look at Kentucky regiments and their positions with my own eyes.  It's one thing to see it on the map, and a totally different experience to stand there!

Just saw that there was one schedule for the 5th, a Thursday.  With it being a 12 miler, I assume it will be covering all the main points.  I may be able to make this one depending on when we leave for Chattanooga.  I would love to be down there for the day!

Derrick

6 hours ago, Derrick said:

Just saw that there was one schedule for the 5th, a Thursday.  With it being a 12 miler, I assume it will be covering all the main points.  I may be able to make this one depending on when we leave for Chattanooga.  I would love to be down there for the day!

Derrick

Dr Jeff Gentsch, a military history professor at the University of West Alabama, is leading the hike on the 5th.  Many of us enjoy Dr Gentsch, who revels in his outspokenness. I don't know the itinerary but at 12 miles it seems likely that the hike will cover most of the Park.  I expect him to go off road and will be very surprised if we don't cross the Dill Branch Ravine. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Derrick said:

I've actually been talking to my wife about coming down and attending one this year.  Those dates are actually during our Spring Break, but we have a family event in Chattanooga those days.  I'd love to catch another one though.  Any hikes planned for the summer or even the fall?  I plan on making a few trips there this year to take a closer look at Kentucky regiments and their positions with my own eyes.  It's one thing to see it on the map, and a totally different experience to stand there!

In November, under the auspices of this August Group, Dr Tim Smith, a history professor at University of Tennessee - Martin and former Shiloh NMP ranger, will lead his annual Epic Hike with Tim Smith.  In 2016, his hike was at Fort Donelson (he released a book on this battle at about that time), and this past year he lead a hike / car caravan following Lew Wallace's march from Crump's landing to the battlefield and the actions of Wallace's Third Division on April 7.  I don't have any idea what the topic might be this year.  Dr Smith is excellent.  The Epic Hike is held on a Saturday.

If the battlefield gods are kind, and the hike is in the vicinity of Shiloh, I will lead a Not-So-Epic hike on the day following the Epic Hike, covering the actions of Trabue's Brigade of Breckinridge's Reserve Corps on the First Day of the battle (I just can't quite remember where most of Trabue's regiments came from <wink> <wink>).  

I don't know of any other hikes which are regularly scheduled, other than the Anniversary Hikes.  On November 11, 2017, the same day as the Epic Hike, the Park Service had Dr Jeff Gentsch led a reprise of his April 7, 2017 hike Shiloh and the Civil War in Regards to the First World War: A Comparative Hike (as I recall, the United States declared war on Imperial Germany on April 7, 1917).  Since we are observing the Centennial of the World War I, I would not be surprised if the Park Service has him reprise his 2018 anniversary hike Battle of Shiloh: Battlefield Actions of Infantry, Artillery, and Cavalry with Comparisons to the Great War on the Veteran's Day weekend.

If you are planning to visit the battlefield, you should get a copy of the Battlefield America: Shiloh map. It is a topographic map showing the location of all of the monuments and tablets.  It is available at the Shiloh Bookstore (at the Visitor's Center) or direct from the publisher (www.trailheadgraphics.com).  

The tablets are particularly important - they were placed by David W. Reed who fought with the 12th Iowa at Shiloh and who was secretary and later  chairman of the Shiloh National Military Park Commission and was also its historian.  Tim Smith wrote

"Whenever there is a question about Shiloh that is not easily answerable, the staff looks to see what the various tablets and monuments on the battlefield say. These markers represent troop movements and were placed on the battlefield at the turn of the century when veterans of the battle were establishing the Shiloh National Military Park. Reed wrote the text for the approximately four hundred iron tablets, and he approved the text for the monuments produced by state commissions. Thus, Reed had his hand in telling the story of Shiloh “in letters of iron” on the battlefield itself. These markers are extremely important today because they offer a connection of both time and space to the veterans themselves and to the units they represent. There is a wealth of specific information on these markers, and anyone performing serious research into Shiloh must use them as a seminal source."

The tablets face in the direction which the unit being described was facing at the time depicted and are located at the center of its position.  They are considered to be very accurately placed for the most part.  The regimental monuments are placed at the location of the unit's most important service during the battle and face in the direction it was facing then.  Reed also controlled the placement of the monuments (with one notable exception).

You can follow a link on the Shiloh National Military Park website to a non-NPS website which has photographs of the tablets, so you can learn what each says when preparing for your intended park visits.

I regret to inform you that there are no Kentucky regimental monuments on the field and that the Kentucky State "monument" is a disgrace to the Commonwealth.  On the other hand, Trabue's Brigade has ten tablets. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Transylvania said:

In November, under the auspices of this August Group, Dr Tim Smith, a history professor at University of Tennessee - Martin and former Shiloh NMP ranger, will lead his annual Epic Hike with Tim Smith.  In 2016, his hike was at Fort Donelson (he released a book on this battle at about that time), and this past year he lead a hike / car caravan following Lew Wallace's march from Crump's landing to the battlefield and the actions of Wallace's Third Division on April 7.  I don't have any idea what the topic might be this year.  Dr Smith is excellent.  The Epic Hike is held on a Saturday.

If the battlefield gods are kind, and the hike is in the vicinity of Shiloh, I will lead a Not-So-Epic hike on the day following the Epic Hike, covering the actions of Trabue's Brigade of Breckinridge's Reserve Corps on the First Day of the battle (I just can't quite remember where most of Trabue's regiments came from <wink> <wink>).  

no Kentucky regimental monuments on the field and that the Kentucky State "monument" is a disgrace to the Commonwealth.  On the other hand, Trabue's Brigade has ten tablets. 

I am really looking forward to these, and I believe I will have to get that book at the visitor's center during my next visit.  Never heard of that Trabue fellow.... ;)

But that sounds like it would be a great learning experience.  It seems like those guys were shuffled all over the place on those two days.  It's really difficult to keep up with where they were and when.  This hike should definitely help!

I agree about the Kentucky "monument."  Nothing about it memorializes the thousands of men from the state that fought and died there.  Now the Kentucky monument at Chickamauga, that is a beautiful work of art.  I wish my state could get it together fiscally and put up the funds to construct a decent and respectable tribute for them at Shiloh.

Thanks for the info!  I am really hoping to make some of these this year!

Derrick

you can find videos of our hikes...except ft donelson which there were 'technical"difficulties ,here  tony does excellent work on posting them...but until you walk the battlefield one can really not grasp the battle fully..and then will all the readings you have done really" see the battle" because the driving tour is on the plateau and most the battle envoled the ravins...one has not "visited" shiloh until they have traversed several of them ...and following tabue is a great hike...

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mona said:

you can find videos of our hikes...except ft donelson which there were 'technical"difficulties ,here  tony does excellent work on posting them...but until you walk the battlefield one can really not grasp the battle fully..and then will all the readings you have done really" see the battle" because the driving tour is on the plateau and most the battle envoled the ravins...one has not "visited" shiloh until they have traversed several of them ...and following tabue is a great hike...

Totally agree.  I did a hike at Gettysburg in 2016, and it completely changed the way I viewed and thought about the battle.  Can't wait to do this at Shiloh.  I will definitely check out the videos!

On 3/2/2018 at 1:57 PM, mona said:

Mona,

I've been watching some of the hikes on YouTube, and they are great.  I've watched the Bull Nelson video and the Lew Wallace hike from last year.  I just started the Following AS Johnston today, and hopefully can finish it this week.  I've noticed that there was one with Tim Smith and Ed Bearss at Fort Donelson in September.  How does one find out when these tours/hikes take place?  I'd love to make a November hike at Shiloh sometime, and any other with these two!