Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Stan Hutson

Images/Photographs

All,

Well, as many of you know, I have worked a long time to develop the best image collection related to the Battle of Shiloh, and also, Corinth, Fort Donelson, and Iuka.  Never have thought to ask before, but if anyone has any images, or knows of any images, related to these battles, especially Shiloh.  Let me know, I would love to add them to the appropriate album.  I would speculate that the Shiloh Confederate and Federal albums is the largest online collection of images related to the Battle of Shiloh available, well, anywhere.  Hope everyone enjoys them!

Stan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Stan

Since you asked... 

Loren S. Tyler was a member of the 15th Iowa, who worked his way up through the ranks from drummer, to Major. Late during the Civil War, he took it upon himself to collect an image of every officer who was (or had been) a member of the 15th Iowa Volunteer Infantry Regiment. (He also collected a fair few enlisted photographs.) And his "collecting" eventually evolved into a mission: he acquired an image of every Iowa Civil War officer who attained the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, or higher.

http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/113982352/loren-s-tyler  Major Loren S. Tyler at find-a-grave

http://ir.uiowa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4671&context=annals-of-iowa  Details of Loren S. Tyler Collection

Thanks for your efforts with gathering significant Shiloh (and Fort Henry to Corinth) images/ CDV's.

Ozzy

Ozzy,

Thanks, that is impressive!  I guess Loren and myself had a similar hobby.  Neat to see him in an obviously early war photograph.

I guess I should have been more precise on my post.  The images I have posted, well, I am really looking for pre-war or wartime images of soldiers who were killed, wounded, or captured during the Shiloh campaign.  I have added a few that do not fall in to this category, but these were either Surgeons/Doctors that would have treated the wounded, and one or two of men with research worthy wartime accounts of Shiloh.

I guess I "could" create an album of Shiloh participants, that would be a massive album to say the least, ha!

Stan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1