Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Stan Hutson

Neat account and picture

All,

I posted this image in my Shiloh album, but thought it deserved its own post.  It is a neat, and I dare say rare thing to come across images where an account during the battle is associated with that person.  Here is one.

Cpt. Price Newman, 9th Kentucky Infantry CS

Johnny Green of the Orphan Brigade stated,

"One yankee who stood his ground firing from behind one of their tents had drawn a bead on Captain Price Newman who was in hot pursuit at the head of his company.  I fired at Mr. Yank as I advanced, but missed him; he fired at Capt Newman not fifteen feet distant, who fell headlong."

It appears, as fate would have it, the captain had caught his foot on a tent rope and stumbled right as the Federal soldier fired.  Newman stood up and shot the Federal with his pistol.

large.5a9dcb074ea50_CaptainPriceCNewman2.jpg.824a864befbbe1a75924ca3ced114a83.jpg

• Like 2

According to The History of the Orphan Brigade Edward Porter Thompson, Price C. Newman of Louisville was elected 2nd lieutenant in November, 1861, and was elected captain at the reorganization of May 15, 1862.  He participated in all of the major engagements of the Orphan Brigade and died in Louisville on July 30, 1894.  (page 802)

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b4519380;view=1up;seq=1213

• Like 2