Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
rwaller

Magnificent Image of Unidentified Federal Regiment

Western Regiment.JPGCaption: A magnificent image of an unidentified Federal regiment drawn up for the camera near Stevenson. Hard-bitten Westerners like these would take the war to the enemy wherever they found him. (BEHRINGER-CRAWFORD MUSEUM, COVINGTON, KENTUCKY)

• Like 2

I thought the board would appreciate this photograph. It is from a volume called 'The Image of War: 1861-1865, Volume V, THE SOUTH BESIEGED, THE NATIONAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY. The six volumes were originally published back in 1983. I have been putting together a used set one at a time as they became available on Amazon or Ebay. I finally got the final volume I was missing and this photograph jumped out at me. I estimate it was taken during the summer of 1863.

Hello, just a few thoughts and observations on this photograph. It appears that we have an entire brigade drawn up here in three successive lines. Regimental musicians, holding their instruments are in the center of the picture with the color guard in front of them. The flag is interesting in that it appears to have a Corps emblem on it. The unknown cameraman seems to have positioned himself up on the roof of a shed or in a house to get this vantage point. Any ideas? Thank you.