Shiloh Discussion Group
Derrick

Anniversary Hikes

Hello everyone,

I will be attending one of the long, all day hikes this week at the park.  Would a backpack and water bottles be recommended?  Anyone else going to any of them?

Derrick 

• Like 1

Water, lunch, and dry socks are highly recommended.  You will find no  food vending at the Park (with the possible exception of a vending machine or two).  The only all day hike this weekend, as far as I know, is Dr Gentsch's hike on the 5th.  He likes to bushwhack, and one's footware may quickly become wet, if the morning dew is sodden (I learned the hard way in 2012 - ruined my feet for the remainder of the hikes).

I am scheduled to go on Gentsch's Clausewitzian Interpretation hike on April 5, his Operational Account hike on April 6 am, Bjorn Skaptason's Confederate Left hike on April 6 pm, and Professor Gentsch's two hikes on April 7.  I will also visit Fallen Timbers with Mr Skaptason on April 8 (I hope - didn't work out so well last year).

Bjorn Skaptason likes to bushwhack as well (the description of his April 6 afternoon hike practically screams that he will be bushwhacking).

Hope to see you!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Transylvania said:

Water, lunch, and dry socks are highly recommended.  You will find no  food vending at the Park (with the possible exception of a vending machine or two).  The only all day hike this weekend, as far as I know, is Dr Gentsch's hike on the 5th.  He likes to bushwhack, and one's footware may quickly become wet, if the morning dew is sodden (I learned the hard way in 2012 - ruined my feet for the remainder of the hikes).

I am scheduled to go on Gentsch's Clausewitzian Interpretation hike on April 5, his Operational Account hike on April 6 am, Bjorn Skaptason's Confederate Left hike on April 6 pm, and Professor Gentsch's two hikes on April 7.  I will also visit Fallen Timbers with Mr Skaptason on April 8 (I hope - didn't work out so well last year).

Bjorn Skaptason likes to bushwhack as well (the description of his April 6 afternoon hike practically screams that he will be bushwhacking).

Hope to see you!

Thanks for the info!  I'll be coming down on the 5th for Dr. Gentsch's hike.  I cleaned out my hiking pack today just in case.  Definitely will be bringing plenty of water, and the extra socks is a good idea.  See you there!

Also, you may want to carry some rain gear.  The 5th looks to have dry weather, but I am not so sure about the 6th and 7th (one more reason for dry socks).

Hope you enjoy Dr Gentsch's hike.  I just hope he speaks up - he so soft-spoken.

See you Thusday!

• Like 1

It was great meeting the two of you on Thursday!  I had an absolute blast and am so glad i was able to spend the day with others who enjoy learning about the battle as much as me.  Hopefully I can make another one soon!

• Like 3

Good teaser, Derrick.

Looking forward to your full report, for the benefit of those of us unable to make the trip :) .

All the best

Ozzy

Derrick it was a pleasure to meet you nad like you i do hope you can arrange a visit in the future.

Ozzy.Soon there should be videos of several  of the hikes posted by Tony.  we all had a great time even if we were rained and snowed on and didnt see the sun but for a few hours Sunday am. And i was COLD and WINDY!

• Like 1