Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Tony Willoughby

The Division That Never Was: The Failure at Prentiss’ Divisional Camps hike (video)

Thanks for posting these videos Tony. I watched on YouTube. Someday I might be able to attend one of these hikes. I'm only a couple thousand miles away. 

• Like 1

Good job Tony.  And yeah, thanks for posting these.  I watch your videos over and over again (best thing there is besides actually being at Shiloh)

• Like 1

Tony

Thanks for posting this valuable, in-depth analysis by Bjorn Skaptason of Prentiss's Division. We tend to take for granted that the Sixth Division was under-sized, and inexperienced when fighting erupted morning of April 6th 1862. Yet, there was more experience (25th Missouri, 21st Missouri and 18th Missouri; as well as General Prentiss, Colonel Peabody, Colonel Moore, and Major Powell ) than we recognize; and as for "under-sized," truth be known, on the morning of April 6th, all of the elements required for a full-sized division were present at Savannah and Pittsburg Landing, but someone dropped the ball. And that someone was not Benjamin M. Prentiss.

"The Division that Never Was" gets viewers to think (again) about a subject with which we believed we were familiar. And, as with all of your videos, this one demonstrates the value of "getting another perspective" of a "widely-understood subject."

All the best

Ozzy