Jump to content
Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Transylvania

Epic Hike 2018 Suggestions

Recommended Posts

Some of us Stalwarts were talking among ourselves during the recent 2018 Anniversary hikes, trying to figure out suggestions for topics for Dr Smith's 2018 Epic Hike.  One suggestion was to follow the route of Trabue's (mostly) Kentucky Brigade (a suggestion not put forth by your Faithful Correspondent), which could be lengthy, if one starts at the initial position on the Bark Road and follows it to its position in Crescent Field, then bushwhacking across Tilghlman Branch, and closing the encirclement of Prentiss et al.  Then to the Indian Mounds, which ended its service on April 6.  It spent the night in the camps of the 6th Iowa and 46th Ohio (McDowell's Brigade of the Fifth Division), clear across the Battlefield.

Your Faithful Correspondent suggested some sort of an excursion in which the hike would follow the course of the Federal brigades into the fighting on April 6.  The basis of this suggestion is that your Faithful Correspondent does not have a grasp of the location of the Federal camps, with the exception of the Fifth and Sixth Division brigade camps.

One of the aspects of his recent book which he touts is its treatment of the April 7 actions which is deeper than that of other accounts, so perhaps Dr Smith could put together a hike dealing with the Second Day.  He did discuss Lew Wallace's actions on April 7 in the afternoon installment of last year's Epic Hike. but there's a lot more to cover.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be all for the Trabue Hike.  I think it would be interesting to follow Lauman's Brigade on the 6th and 7th (The 17th Kentucky was from my town...so that's why I would love that!) from their camps at Cloud Field, to the Peach Orchard, then across the road form Wicker Field, back to the last line, then over to Jones Field and beyond.  These always take place in November, correct?  My wife and I are expecting in November, so I might have to miss this anyway.  I would love to go on one of Dr. Smith's hikes after watching all the videos and reading his book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of thoughts, neither of which may be applicable for 2018:

1. Something Vicksburg-related, since Dr. Tim is working on Vicksburg-related books.  

2.  A "(fill in state name) at Shiloh" series, visiting some of the more notable actions of regiments from several of the states represented at Shiloh.  My thought that this could be an ongoing series, with each year's hike covering regiments from a particular state.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 7:32 PM, Transylvania said:

Some of us Stalwarts were talking among ourselves during the recent 2018 Anniversary hikes, trying to figure out suggestions for topics for Dr Smith's 2018 Epic Hike.  One suggestion was to follow the route of Trabue's (mostly) Kentucky Brigade (a suggestion not put forth by your Faithful Correspondent), which could be lengthy, if one starts at the initial position on the Bark Road and follows it to its position in Crescent Field, then bushwhacking across Tilghlman Branch, and closing the encirclement of Prentiss et al.  Then to the Indian Mounds, which ended its service on April 6.  It spent the night in the camps of the 6th Iowa and 46th Ohio (McDowell's Brigade of the Fifth Division), clear across the Battlefield.

Your Faithful Correspondent suggested some sort of an excursion in which the hike would follow the course of the Federal brigades into the fighting on April 6.  The basis of this suggestion is that your Faithful Correspondent does not have a grasp of the location of the Federal camps, with the exception of the Fifth and Sixth Division brigade camps.

One of the aspects of his recent book which he touts is its treatment of the April 7 actions which is deeper than that of other accounts, so perhaps Dr Smith could put together a hike dealing with the Second Day.  He did discuss Lew Wallace's actions on April 7 in the afternoon installment of last year's Epic Hike. but there's a lot more to cover.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

 

I have never been on any of the "epic hikes", but your 2nd suggestion sounds interesting, that of following some of the other Federal units in to battle aside from those in the front line camps.  There were many units, mainly on the Federal side, that simply didn't march clear across creation in their action at Shiloh.  The only drawback is that if you are retracing the steps of a unit that did not travel far it would make for a short hike and leave everyone with a, well, "now what do we do" scenario when the hike is over.  Good ideas though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Stan Hutson said:

I have never been on any of the "epic hikes", but your 2nd suggestion sounds interesting, that of following some of the other Federal units in to battle aside from those in the front line camps.  There were many units, mainly on the Federal side, that simply didn't march clear across creation in their action at Shiloh.  The only drawback is that if you are retracing the steps of a unit that did not travel far it would make for a short hike and leave everyone with a, well, "now what do we do" scenario when the hike is over.  Good ideas though.  

That is indeed the problem.  The Epic Hike is an all-day affair, so a hike following the Federal units to the front line would actually be a matter  of following one brigade and then backtracking to a different brigade camp, following it into battle, &c, &c, &c - perhaps not the most exciting hike.  And the big drawback - there would be no reason to traverse Dill Branch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if those that wish to traverse Dill Creek ravine...it can be made available to those that havent done it yet...i do beleive the most of us have more than several times...but folloeing a unit would be good...kind of like how we retraced the steps of Prentiss" men in April..with Bjorn.That was a good hike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should try to lower a cannon down to the bottom of the ravine from Gage's position marker to appreciate what that battery did to keep up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Russell Martin said:

Will the battlefield loan us a canon for that? Or do we need to "borrow" one from another?

You are joking...we would all be forever banned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" You are joking...we would all be forever banned " Actually, Doc, all Y'all would most likely be in jail! I believe there are Federal laws about the theft of property.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WI16thJim said:

" You are joking...we would all be forever banned " Actually, Doc, all Y'all would most likely be in jail! I believe there are Federal laws about the theft of property.

We'd bring it back........ come on man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WI16thJim said:

" You are joking...we would all be forever banned " Actually, Doc, all Y'all would most likely be in jail! I believe there are Federal laws about the theft of property.

I know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 4:01 PM, mona said:

if those that wish to traverse Dill Creek ravine...it can be made available to those that havent done it yet...i do beleive the most of us have more than several times...but folloeing a unit would be good...kind of like how we retraced the steps of Prentiss" men in April..with Bjorn.That was a good hike.

It  is not a true visit to the Shiloh National Military Park unless one traverses the Dill Branch Ravine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are absolutely right...one has NOT hike Shiloh unless they have crossed Dill Branch..if there is some water..brownie points!!because until you've done this one can not really ascertain what the soldiers had to traverse through in the battle action.the tour road gives the visitor the total different idea of the ground that was involved throughout both days of fighting..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×