Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Stan Hutson

Wisconsin photos vis-à-vis Shiloh

Well, I found the following website: https://www.wisvetsmuseum.com/exhibits/permanent-exhibits/

The Wisconsin Veterans Museum.  Found a bunch of Wisconsin images, soldiers killed and wounded at Shiloh, and at Corinth as well.  I will be adding them to my photo album, but they have a great collection of 16th Wisconsin Infantry photos (Jim did you know about this?!?!?!??!!?!?!?)  Most of the images are from Company E, 16th Wisconsin.  That company really took a beating at Shiloh, amazing to have so many images from that one company.  But, again, will be posting those images soon.

Neat website, would be nice to visit the museum itself.  Check out the picture of the museum, I love how they incorporated the mannequins and the mural together.  I have yet to surf the rest of the sight to see what else they have available online.

Civil_War_600x400.jpg

• Like 2

Yup. I thought you knew about it so I never mentioned it. Spent many a hour on the fourth floor archive. When Mona visited WI, I was going to take her there, but they had changed the hours and were closed on the Monday when we got there. Fortunately, I'd made my acquaintance with the powers that be and got Mona a private tour in the closed museum.

The display in the picture is of the cornfield at Antietam. 

3 hours ago, WI16thJim said:

Yup. I thought you knew about it so I never mentioned it. Spent many a hour on the fourth floor archive. When Mona visited WI, I was going to take her there, but they had changed the hours and were closed on the Monday when we got there. Fortunately, I'd made my acquaintance with the powers that be and got Mona a private tour in the closed museum.

Yeah cool looking Sharpsburg display.  I will be posting all the 16th Wisconsin images related to Shiloh that I found on the site.  Good stuff.  I never knew about it.

6 hours ago, WI16thJim said:

yes its good to have friends in high places...got the main historian to open up and give me a tour! it was great!until he mentioned they had just taken down all their Shiloh displays(i asked him would he put it all out again if i gave him a heads up if i every return)it is worth going up there also go on to the capital and then jim can take you to the cemetery where the confederates are buried..but the monument will be gone...it has fallen prey to "pc". did get to see the cannon captured at Shiloh!

• Like 1