Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Transylvania

Thank You, Major Reed

I just spent the day at the Gettysburg battlefield which is about 3-1/2 hours from my domicile. I was amazed how poorly interpreted the battlefield is.  A brigade will have one War Department tablet which summarizes its actions over the three days of the battle and possibly also what it did on July 4.  The regimental monuments placed sort of where they should be.

The interpretation from the tablets and monuments at Gettysburg is extremely lacking, especially when contrasted with the Shiloh battlefield.  Major Reed did a good job with his placements of the War Department tablets and his control of the placement of the monuments.

I am under the impression that the Gettysburg battlefield, at least in its beginning, was somewhat of a spontaneous creation, lacking the firm guidance of a Reed or Boynton (Chickamauga), and it shows.

This trip to Gettysburg was my first in twenty years.  Now I realize why I visit it every twenty years while visiting the Shiloh National Military Park, which is about a twelve-hour drive, at least once a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Transylvania

We are indeed fortunate David W. Reed was given the Historian position at Shiloh Military Park.

His nearest rival for the position:

http://shilohdiscussiongroup.com/topic/2020-shiloh-memorial-park/?tab=comments#comment-14054

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2015/4/9/8369563/tbt-civil-war-veteran-biggest-gopher-fan-col-eliel-t-lee  

Fate and Good Judgment determined the best outcome.

Ozzy

Edited by Ozzy
Original post was poorly written.

i visited gettysburg couple weeks ago for the 155th....this was my first...i have no pictures d/t my less than 1 yr old camera defective..also visited wilderness/spotsylvania,fredricksburg,chancellorsville,harpers ferry,antietam...anyway...spent several days they ..Tony was a great guide!!.and got to do the picketts charge hike with matt atkinson...my ancestor was killed during this action..and still remains there..i also found the lack of interpretation ..several who i have talked to when i returned asked me what i thought of the battlefield....i always answered...im glad i finally got to visit and enjoyed my stay ....BUT it is not Shiloh... im going to have to look up the gopher guy...if he;s buried in galipolis ill have to find his grave..im going there next month to visit buffington island and where  jiohn hunt morgan surrendered.

• Like 1

Having had a re-read of my earlier post on this topic...

I see that it was insensitive to the feelings of those who had family members present at Battle of Gettysburg, or had other connection to that sacred ground.

And I apologize.

Ozzy

On 7/24/2018 at 6:13 PM, Ozzy said:

Having had a re-read of my earlier post on this topic...

I see that it was insensitive to the feelings of those who had family members present at Battle of Gettysburg, or had other connection to that sacred ground.

And I apologize.

Ozzy

no harm done at all....i didnt take your post in an harmful way..

• Like 1