Shiloh Discussion Group

Did you know William Tecumseh Sherman was a diarist?

Over at University of Notre Dame (Archives) are to be found diaries kept by Sherman from 1843 - 1861 and 1866 - 1890. Where are the diaries William Tecumseh Sherman kept during the Civil War? [Still looking, but they may be at Library of Congress, or some University Library.] But, W. T. Sherman also wrote a lot of letters...

http://archives.nd.edu/findaids/ead/xml/shr.xml  William T. Sherman Family Papers (Letters, telegrams, diaries and other documents).

[Click on above link, and scroll down: everything in "blue" is  online; mostly copies of handwritten documents (which can be hard to read) but also many typed transcripts]:

• 13 NOV 1861 Special Orders No.305 relieving Sherman of command and replacing him with BGen D. C. Buell.
  • 24 NOV 1861 Special Orders No.8, by which BGen Sherman is assigned duty as Inspector in Department of the Missouri.
  • DEC 1861 Letter, in which Sherman indicates, "he has met Halleck in St. Louis, and will press for a command."
  • JAN 1862 Letter to wife, Ellen (from Benton Barracks) indicates, "There is something in the works for Tennessee (including a feint on Columbus from Cairo)."
  • 12 FEB 1862 Letter to Ellen (from Benton Barracks) "General Halleck plans to go to Paducah..."
  • 1 MAR 1862 Letter from Paducah to Ellen: "I have been busy sending away Prisoners from Fort Donelson."
  • 3 MAR 1862 Letter from Cairo to Ellen: "I am getting ready to be part of an expedition; and the Rebels are abandoning Columbus, because of Genl Grant's victory."
  • 3 APR 1863 Letter from Pittsburg Landing to Ellen: "Buell's forces are expected at Savannah about Monday (April 8th). Bragg is at Corinth, 18 miles away with 80 regiments... and I am satisfied they will await our coming. The weather is warm and Springlike: apples and peaches in blossom, and trees beginning to leaf."

And much, much more...

Ozzy

• Like 1