Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Perry Cuskey

(2007) Chat Session for August 25th

Hi folks,

By popular demand, we'll be holding another chat session this Saturday night, at 9:00 p.m. eastern time. No specific topic for this one - we'll pick something and run with it.

For now, if you try to sign into the chat room, you'll probably notice that it's no longer there. (Oops.) I'll have this little problem rectified before the chat session starts. Promise. Much easier to have a chat session if the chat room is actually there. Everything will stay the same - same log-in details and same password as before. If you need either one, or the location for the chat room, send me an email through the link below.

Perry

Okay, the chat room is back up and should be working okay. If you have a problem getting into the room or forgot the location or password, send me an email or post a note here. See you tonight.

Perry

Good Chat last night.. we are going to have to do it again one of these nights soon.. I think we had five all total.. Maybe when the evenings get shorter and nights cooler numbers will increase a little

Anybody got any thoughts for the next topic??

I enjoyed the chat last night. Someone mentioned that one of Peabody's Regiments was sent to the front with no ammo. All I've been able to find in the OR is a statement by Prentiss that the 16th Iowa was sent up without ammo. When I read the 16th Iowa commander Col. Alexander Chamber's report, he states that he was ordered by an aide of Grants to act as a reserve and to prevent stragglers from moving to the rear. No mention of ammo. He then says his unit was moved up to the battle.

Jim:

The 15th and 16th Iowa regiments arrived after the battle started at Pittsburgh landing and were sent forward to the Jones field where they took part in the fighting in Jones field and the union camps below, and also in the trees above the Woolf field. The fighting ended here about 12:30 pm. They did not take part in the fighting in the Spain field under Prentiss.

The 15th Michigan also arrived at the landing after the battle started and Colonel John Oliver brought it forward where it was used to extend the line of Miller's union brigade. It had no ammunition as none was issued and the colonel thought he could get a issue while nearer to the front. He failed to get a issue of ammo and after a short attempt to stand in the line of battle, he took the regiment back to the landing where he found ammo.

He returned to the battle.

Ron