Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Ozzy

Another Flag of Truce

It appears another Flag of Truce was sent by the Confederates to Union commanders at Pittsburg Landing, a week after Battle of Shiloh:

Corinth (2).png

[from Chronicling America The Semi-Weekly Shreveport News of 22 APR 1862 page 1.]

Why is the above report of a Flag of Truce on Sunday, April 13th important?

Although there is mention of several communications between Halleck and Beauregard taking place during Halleck's March on Corinth (which commenced end of April 1862) I was unaware of any contact made with Grant's Army after General Beauregard (via messenger under Flag of Truce) attempted to arrange for burial of Rebel remains, a day or two after Battle of Shiloh. Also included in the brief article of 15 April:

• Who the Confederate Flag of Truce sought out (Brigadier General Nelson)
  • Confirmation that Major General Halleck was present.
  • "Captain Richards was blindfolded" to prevent him seeing anything of military value.

In addition, the article mentions a skirmish on 13 April 1862 involving Forrest's Cavalry (which would have been conducted by a junior officer, because Colonel Forrest was away having a wound tended.)

I wonder what the back story is on this.  I am sure there were other commanders who probably wanted to recover other fallen soldiers at Shiloh, and probably would have given the chance.  I can see why the body of the Governor would want to be recovered, but the Major?  Just makes me think that if Beauregard gave the nod to Breckenridge to send a flag of truce, other officers would have gotten wind and would have wanted to send their own envoy(s) for similar purposes.