Shiloh Discussion Group
WI16thJim

14th WI @ Shiloh

Mona and Daryl are visiting Madison, WI and I went up today to show Mona some sights while Daryl was attending to his business. We were going to start at the Historical Society and Veterans Museums but discovered both are closed on Mondays. Not being much for following the exact letter of the rules, I took her into a side door to an elevator I knew would take us to the 3rd floor Archives. He couldn't help us there but sent us to the 2nd floor Admin floor (go to the rule makers to see if they'll help me break the rules! Seemed a little brazen, even for me, but I figured What The He!!). There we met a young lady named Chris. She said everyone was going to a meeting, but she was sure her afternoon was free and would give us a tour at 1PM. When we arrived at 1 she turned us over to Kevin Hampton who has one of those great sounding job titles instead of decent pay, Curator of Research & Public Programs. Needless to say, it was the best time I've had at the Museum. Not just seeing the pieces, but getting the story behind the pieces and the story behind proving the pieces were genuine and their story made the day. We got into a good discussion on the WI 14th's captured cannon. He was of the opinion that it was captured from Harper's Batt., but he qualified that he wanted to visit the site at Shiloh to see the lay of the land and the tablets before finalizing his opinion. Mona also tried her first cheese curds and loved them. I think if I can convince her the stories about us getting a little snow in the winter are BS I might turn her into a cheesehead yet!

Jim

Snow in Wisconsin in the winter? Well that's just silly. :)

Harper's battery seems as good a candidate as any, and maybe the best candidate of all. It sure was an absolute chaotic mess in that area, the relative position of the battery's marker and the Putnam Stump monument seem like pretty compelling clues. But any excuse....I mean any reason......to visit the park is a good one. :)

My trip to Madison was wonderful...we also went up to the Capital bldg and walked around and saw stuffed Abe#2 in the assemby hall--when jim gets back down here were going to post many pictures.In the veterans museum they have another stuffed eagle to represent Abe( the yankee buzzard).jim needs to tell the story of 4th of july celeb rations and why they stopped it.When yall ever watch a Wisconsin football game from the stadium...the actual football field is the grounds that the troops drilled on(thats what our tour guide told)Jim..in Brodhead city park there was a monument--looked Civil War but the bus would not stop for me to check it out figue that-do you know?at the depot there was a sign for the 1st regimental band that was organized in Brodhead.(bus driver didnt stop)Yes cheese curds were good --to me they were little fried chees balls..but their hotdogs were fabulous!!nothing like we have down here.hope to post pictures soon