Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Hello!

I am pleased to join the group and am hoping to learn a bit about this battle. My own interest in the Civil War dates back to when I was a young kid growing up at the James A. Garfield home in Mentor, Ohio. We lived on the property and I spent many hours in the Garfield home and museum. Among the things in the collection that fascinated me was Garfield's sword and sidearm. I'm not sure if these were with him at Shiloh though.

• Like 1

Andy

Welcome to SDG. I grew up in Rock Island County, Illinois and the Civil War statues and street names are everywhere (especially across the river at Davenport.) Rock Island Arsenal was established during the Civil War: one of its first functions was as Prisoner of War Camp for thousands of men captured in the South, beginning 1863. And Abraham Lincoln's footprint is to be found at nearby Galesburg (site of one of the Lincoln-Douglas Debates) and on Rock Island (as a lawyer, Lincoln represented the railroad and bridge company against the steamboat owners that ran into the first bridge across the Mississippi River and destroyed it. It is still believed by many that then-Secretary of War, Jefferson Davis, had a hand in destruction of the bridge because he favored a more southern route for the Transcontinental Railroad, crossing the Mississippi River at Memphis.) And of course, Lincoln left his mark on Springfield, only three hours away, and a required pilgrimage for school students, year after year after...

Hope you find participation in SDG a worthwhile experience.

All the best

Ozzy

• Like 2