Shiloh Discussion Group
JimG

Missing Artillery Units

In my research on the artillery at Shiloh came across the Jefferson Mississippi Artillery Battery and Hubard's (Jackson) Arkansas Battery. Couldn't find in the 1913 listing on the NPS Reed's book. Can anyone give me any information.

Jim G

Jim;

In my studies of the confederate artillery, the movements of the batteries is at times very hard to follow as gaps of information occur.  I found the best procedure to use is to follow the batteries from their know locations and make judgements to fill in the gaps.  This has helped to achieve a better understanding of the battle.  I have closed some the missing gaps, some remain.

The Jackson Artillery of Arkansas, commanded by Capt. George T. Hubbard was part of Shoup's Artillery Battalion and moved as a body with Trigg's and Calvert's batteries under Major Shoup's command.  Their first position was at tablet #428 on high ground below the west branch of the Shiloh Branch Ravine.  They fired on the Shiloh Church Plateau.  Hubbard appears again about 1 pm on the Main Corinth Road and moved up to the Duncan Field with only a section of guns commanded by Lt. Thrall, fired at the Duncan farm buildings and were forced back to the trees.  About 3 pm, entered Ruggle's line of guns reunited with the complete battery fired at the federal sunken road positions.  The battery may have moved up to the Cloud Field area after Prentiss's surrender.  Shoup's statement "How we went to Shiloh" is the source for this info.  There is no mention of this battery on the field, Monday April 7th, except that Major Shoup is known to have commanded a group of guns and it is my believe that Hubbard's battery was one of these.  Hubbard's battery is mentioned on tablet #428 and #430. 

The Jefferson Light Artillery of Mississippi was commanded by Capt. William L. Harper and first entered the battle by following its assigned infantry brigade, Wood's, into the woods east of the Western Corinth road where it was not able to keep pace with the brigade and soon was seperated from it.  Harper continued in a northeast direction and found Swett's battery in the deep woods.  Together, they fired into Peabody's brigade camps in support of the advancing rebel troops.  This was about 7:30 to 8:30 am, when Harper continued moving in a northeast direction, crossing the Eastern Corinth road where it fired into the Sarah Bell Cottonfield from within the woods, later moving up to the Purdy road.  It fired into the sunken road positions of the union army until about 5 pm.  The battery is believed to have bivouacked in Peabody's brigade camps overnight.  On Monday, the battery, now commanded by Lt. Putnam Darden replacing the wounded Capt. Harper (his claim), was near the intersection of the Eastern Corinth road and the Purdy road and fought against Crittenden's division as it moved down the road.  This fighting occurred from 9 am to 1 pm when the battery withdrew after losing one gun, being very tired and out of ammunition.  Following this , it withdrew from the battlefield but may have joined in the rearguard group of guns.  The battery is mentioned on tablets #434, #443, #444, and #447, the last tablet is for the action on the second day, Monday April 7th.

Jim, I hope this helps you and if you have corrections, please advise.

Ron

Thanks for the info. I had listed The Jefferson Artillery under another name in error and had skipped Hubbard's unit. Everything ok. I have compiled a listing of all artillery units engaged at Shiloh. Each includes Name, Commander, Ordinance, Campsite locations each position location, memorial location together with all citationseventually I will include casualities and material losses. I also want to reference any information from the various other written sources. The ultimate goal is to be able to track all the artillery units using all existing sources. I would of course acknowledge any and all help.

Jim;

Do you info concerning the Watson Artillery and Miller's Tennessee Battery (Pillow Flying Artillery)?  Can you send info?  I believe they were not at Shiloh.  Can you prove me wrong?  Here, you can really help me.

Ron 

Have the following info

Pillow Flying Artillery or Miller’s Tennessee Battery

Commander – Captain William Miller

3rd Corp. Hardee, 1st. Div (?), 1stBrigade Shaver

Ordinance: 2 x 6 lb Smoothbore and 2 x 12 lb Howitzer plus 2 x 3 inch Rifles 

Campsite

1st Position Marker No. 412 April 5 10:00 a.m. – Next morning Location B12 900 feet north of Bark Road on East side of Shilohville Road.

2nd Position Marker

3rd Position Marker

Citation on Monument

Causalities: Unk

Material Losses: Unk

Report – None

That all I have.

Jim