Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Ozzy

European Shiloh Video

A few years ago I visited Estonia for the first time (an easy ferry ride south from Sweden) and was pleasantly surprised by the medieval historic charm and friendly people of Tallinn. Once this COVID-19 emergency is over and we're out and about travelling once more, I can highly recommend adding Tallinn to your European travel itinerary. Anyway...

Have you ever wondered what Europeans think of the American Civil War? Artur Rehi of Estonia presents a video evaluating the Battle of Shiloh. Prior to this introduction to the War in the West, Artur had only ever heard of Gettysburg and Antietam (the danger of too much condensing of History.) It is entertaining and enlightening to hear the “accepted wisdom” espoused even in Europe as upon introduction of Ulysses S. Grant, Artur brightens up and announces... you'll have to listen to one of many evaluations of General Grant for yourself.

The video runs just over twenty minutes, and is aided by simultaneous running of “Kings and Generals: The Battle of Shiloh.” Beginning with an introduction to Forts Henry and Donelson, and Union possession of Nashville, the move down the Tennessee River (with Buell anticipated to join at Savannah before offensive action takes place) sets the stage for the North; as Albert Sidney Johnston and PGT Beauregard unite their armies for the pending strike at Corinth.

Have a viewing: see what Artur Rehi gets right; and what he gets wrong. And along the way you will find out what you really know about the Battle of Shiloh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU3XsW6vcn4  The Battle of Shiloh was Insane! by Artur Rehi (2020).

Quite amusing.  I learned a lot from that animation he was running.  Despite my many visits and extensive (and extended) battlefield hikes there, I guess I just didn't understand the geography.

• Like 2