Shiloh Discussion Group
Sean Chick

Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Hello all,

This is my first post here, although I have lurked fore years. I am writing The Maps of Shiloh for Savas Beatie, with Brad Gottfried creating the maps.

I have likely read every report in the OR 2-5 times a piece. I was wondering if the supplement has any particularly good information on Shiloh and if the unit information contained is particularly useful. I will regardless check them out, as Tulane University has them, but I wanted to ask here before I dive into them.

Thank you all, I hope to be more active on here as the project continues. We are currently half-way through the book's first draft.

• Like 1

Sean Chick

Welcome to SDG!

Great project: the maps of Shiloh. What is truly interesting about those early maps (prior to Atwell Thompson Map of 1900) is that no two match each other. Some of the common errors:

• roads missing, or plotted incorrectly;

• the Tilghman Branch (in 1862 called Briar Creek) missing or miss-plotted;

• the route taken by BGen Bull Nelson from Savannah thru the swamp ignored or miss-plotted.

In addition, a common mistake made by early map-makers was placing both days of Battle of Shiloh (Sunday and Monday, USA and CSA) on a single map: the result is a real dog's breakfast.

[If map or maps is placed in Search Box at top of Home Page, most all of the early maps we are aware of at SDG will be listed by their inclusion in a SDG topic or post.]

Cheers

Ozzy

Thank you Ozzy.

This book is part of the "Maps of" series by Savas Beatie. It will explain the course of the campaign and battle in a series of maps. For instance, I have 6 maps covering the attack on Prentiss' camp, 4 maps on the attacks by Stewart and Gibson into the "Hornet's Nest," etc. Most maps are regimental scale.  With a battle like Shiloh, given its terrain, duration, and the inexperience of most of the units involved, getting accurate placements and timings for regiments is difficult.

Do you have any experience with the supplement to the OR?

The most valuable records I have encountered in the OR Supplements are a handful of Fort Donelson after-action reports found in possession of MGen C.F. Smith when he died 25 APR 1862 [in OR 52 (part 1) pp.7 – 13.]

For Shiloh, important (and not so important) information is included:

• OR ser.1 vol.10 (part 1) [sometimes referred to as OR 10]

• OR ser.1 vol.10 (part 2) [sometimes referred to as OR 11]

• OR ser.1 vol 10 (part 2) [in back, beginning page 640 (late CSA correspondence) and 637-640 (late correspondence recovered by McCook)].

• OR ser.1 vol.8 [because Halleck oversaw operations at New Madrid, Island No.10, Pea Ridge, and all off northern Missouri (as well as Grant's build-up at Savannah/ Pittsburg Landing) there is discussion of elements of the build-up of Grant's command contained in this OR 8 (Pope's/ Foote's operation against New Madrid/ Island No.10) pp.115-118; 123-125 (Buford's operations east of Hickman KY) and pp.121- 122 (Naval operations on Tennessee River) just a couple of examples

• OR ser.1 vol.51 (part 1)... Nothing.

• OR ser.1 vol.51 (part 2) [CSA communications IRT Thomas Jordan, Zollicoffer, John Floyd]

• OR ser.1 vol.52 (part 1) [pp.16 – 29 Shiloh-related; pp.30 -37 after Shiloh; pp.204 – 266 comms of Halleck, Buell, McClellan, Sherman, Cullum, pre-Shiloh and Shiloh; pp.222 – 242 most relevant to Shiloh; pp.704-718 Report of Lewis Parsons, Chief of Rail and River Transportation detailing 1861 – 1863 movements of men and supplies on Mississippi and Tennessee Rivers.

• OR ser.1 vol.52 (part 2) [CSA communications with pp.218, 238-275, 275-277, 282-298, 298-299 (death of ASJ lamented), 300-305+ (after Shiloh) and pp.816-820 most interesting.

• Papers of US Grant volumes 4 and 5 [much detailed Shiloh build-up, battle and post-battle.]

Hope this helps...

Ozzy

• Like 1

And in addition to the above records, the Naval Records of the War of the Rebellion (which I abbreviate OR (Navy) vol.22 for Shiloh/ Tennessee River operations) are of value. Online, search for Gwin or Shirk to get most of the significant information (which is to be found mainly between pages 475 (Gwin assigned to the Western Rivers) and 786 (end of Abstract Logbook of USS Lexington.)

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch for telling me exactly where to find them. However, what I meant, and was not as clear about, was the 100 volume supplemental published by Broadfoot: http://www.soldierquest.org/OR_supplement.htm

I know it has some Shiloh stuff, such as the report of the 52nd Illinois, itself important because their shift to McClernand's line late on April 6 allowed Trabue, and likely Cleburne, to easily exploit a hole in Union line.

btw, I have been to Adelaide twice, in 2016 and 2019.

I look forward to the publication of your book.  I have several others in the series and have been lamenting the lack of a volume on the Battle of Shiloh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Transylvania said:

I look forward to the publication of your book.  I have several others in the series and have been lamenting the lack of a volume on the Battle of Shiloh.

Thanks I hope it exceeds expectations. Shiloh is a bear of a battle to depict in accurate maps, but I have found some good stuff getting this ready.

• Like 1