Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Sean Chick

Confederate Regiments Without Official Reports

Here is a list of Confederate units at Shiloh that did not turn in official reports. I did not include those reports that were brief, incomplete, or  merely a list of losses, commendations, condemnations.  Underneath certain units are notes, including other possible sources of information.

ALABAMA

17th Alabama

The Seventeenth Alabama Infantry: A Regimental History and Roster by Illene D. Thompson and Wilbur E. Thompson

31st Alabama (49th)

4th Alabama Battalion

Consider how this unit did not exist for long, it is unlikely there is much on them.

1st Alabama Cavalry

It would be great to get more on them, as they may have taken part in the attack at Dill Branch. I also wonder how involved they were in turning Stuart's flank at around 2pm.

Robertson’s Battery (Alabama)

Company E 2nd Battalion Alabama Artillery (Gage’s)

ARKANSAS

6th Arkansas

Thomasson, Bryan. "We Have Drunk From the Same Canteen: Company H, Sixth Arkansas Regiment; the Camden City Guards." Master's thesis, University of Arkansas, 1995.

It would be great to get this thesis, particularly as the regiment sort of disappears after Stewart's attack at Duncan Field.

10th Arkansas

15th Arkansas

Watts, J. C. "History of Jefferson Guards and the Fifteenth Arkansas Regiment". Jefferson County Historical Quarterly, 11, No. 4 (1983): 25–42.

Helena Artillery (Calvert’s Arkansas)

Hubbard’s Battery (Jackson Light Artillery, Arkansas)

Trigg’s Battery (Austin Artillery, Arkansas)

Robert’s Battery (Clarke County Light Artillery, Arkansas)

CSA

3rd Confederate

MISSISSIPPI

5th Mississippi

6th Mississippi

Cox, T.B. “Sixth Mississippi Regiment at Shiloh.” Confederate Veteran, vol. 18

There is also Howell's book.

7th Mississippi

9th Mississippi

10th Mississippi

15th Mississippi

Wynne's A Hard Trip is a first rate unit history.

22nd Mississippi

Blythe’s Mississippi (44th Mississippi)

Wirt Adams’ Cavalry (1st Mississippi)

Pettus Flying Artillery (Hudson’s Mississippi)

Warren Light Artillery (Swett’s Mississippi)

Smith’s Battery (Mississippi)

I would love to find out what they did on April 6 after 12pm. They pulled back and are not mentioned again as far as I can see.

KENTUCKY

3rd Kentucky

4th Kentucky

5th Kentucky

6th Kentucky

Thompson, E. Porter. History of the Orphan Brigade. Louisville: Lewis N. Thompson, 1898.

This book covers all of the above, but is more anecdotal.

Kentucky Cavalry (Thompson’s)

According to Reed they took no active part in the battle.

Morgan’s Cavalry

Basil Duke wrote about them, but one has to wonder how much is true. Duke was old and he wanted to protect Morgan's reputation. Meanwhile, anyone read or know where to get this: Basil Duke's Personal Recollections of Shiloh, read before the Filson club April 6, 1914 Louisville filson club

Byrne’s Battery (Kentucky)

Thompson, E. Porter. History of the Orphan Brigade. Louisville: Lewis N. Thompson, 1898.

Lyon Battery (Cobb’s Kentucky)

There is also an article in Confederate Veteran

LOUISIANA

16th Louisiana

Masters Thesis by Aymond from Southeastern Louisiana University

Orleans Guard Battalion (Louisiana)

Journal of the Orleans Guard Napier Bartlett is in "Military Record of Louisiana.” Just be sure to go to  the Louisiana Troops in the West section

1st Louisiana Cavalry

One of the mystery units mentioned by Reed. I have seen newspaper clipping posted on this site that indicates they were close to Shiloh but not engaged.

Watson Artillery (Beltzhoover’s Louisiana)

It is heavily debated if they were there. My best guess is there on April 7, and likely  were at the very tail end of the army.

MISSOURI

1st Missouri

In Deadly Earnest by Gottschalk goes over the battle, although the 1st Missori's movements on April 6 are not detailed.

TENNESSEE

2nd Tennessee (Walker’s)

I would love to know more since they were 9/10 Irish.

6th Tennessee

Tennessee Annals has a fairly detailed entry.

9th Tennessee

Band of Brothers ~ Company C, 9th Tennessee Infantry by James R. Fleming

Anyone read this?

15th Tennessee

Ed Gleeson’s Illinois Rebels: A Civil War Unit History of G Company 15th Tennessee Regiment Volunteer Infantry

I have not read this book but I am very curious about it.

19th Tennessee

Fowler, John D., Mountaineers in Gray: The Nineteenth Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment, C.S.A., The University of Tennessee Press, 2004, ISBN 1-57233-314-6

Worsham, Dr. W. J., The Old Nineteenth Tennessee Regiment C.S.A

20th Tennessee

McMurray’s account of the regiment is decent it seems.

22nd Tennessee*

http://shilohdiscussiongroup.com/topic/854-22nd-tennessee/?ct=1595814367

24th Tennessee

28th Tennessee

Tennessee annals are light on details

44th Tennessee*

45th Tennessee

47th Tennessee*

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~bsdunagan/military/47th.html

52nd Tennessee

55th Tennessee (McKoin’s)*

Tennessee Battalion (Crews’)

There is a good discussion of them on the SDG.

Forrest’s Cavalry

There is of course Wyeth's book and Jordan and Pryor. I do wonder how much is propaganda, but they are detailed accounts all the same.

Company A 1st Tennessee Light Artillery (McClung’s Tennessee)

Company G Tennessee Artillery Corps (Polk’s)

Rutledge’s Battery (Tennessee)

• Thanks 1

In March/ April 1864 a massive inspection of Confederate Artillery was conducted by BGen W. N. Pendleton, Chief of Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia as ordered by General Samuel Cooper. The results of that inspection, listing names of batteries, names of commanders (and other significant officers), battles engaged, losses incurred, current requirements, date and location of initial muster are to be found in OR ser.1 vol.32 (part 3) pages 684 - 709. 

The best collection of information, confirming the presence at Shiloh of particular artillery is included in Notes of the report attributed to LtCol J. H. Hallonquist (pages 697 - 709) although the earlier pages of the report (684 - 697) also contain details of batteries known to have been at Shiloh.

This link works well: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo1.ark:/13960/t9g458x7p&view=1up&seq=690 [OR 32 pt3 pp.684 - 709].

• Like 1